No Bexley resident has died due to coronavirus in second wave so far

By Lachlan Leeming, Local Democracy Reporter

No Bexley resident has died due to coronavirus so far during the UK’s second wave, but local councillors are pushing for more detailed information regarding the impact of the virus on the borough’s health services.

Members of Bexley council’s outbreak board met for their digital meeting on Tuesday, just two days before a month-long national lockdown is set to be imposed across the UK.

It was less than a fortnight ago that members of the same board had been told London was “not close to getting to Tier 3 level yet”.

However, this meeting heard the rapid escalation had seen the overall rate of coronavirus jump to 150 cases per 100,000 people in London.

Dr Anjan Ghosh, Bexley’s director of public health, told members that although rates of diagnosis in people aged over 65 were rising, no deaths of local residents had been recorded in the second wave yet.

However, he reiterated a prediction he made last month, saying that “mid-November onwards” would see a significant increase in people requiring medical attention, more than it already has.

It came as councillors pressed for more specific information on what rocketing rates of infection across the city meant for their area.

Council leader Teresa O’Neill said there was not enough detail on whether people being admitted to hospital were being admitted “primarily” due to Covid-19, or whether it was other causes.

 

 


Please support your local paper by making a donation

 

 

Please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ


Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing recently: “A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.

So if you have enjoyed reading this story, and if you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can buy our newspaper or make a donation, which will allow us to continue to bring stories like this one to you both in print and online.

Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *