Pair jailed after Pimlico shooting

Two men have been sentenced to a total of more than 22 years in jail even though the driver they shot refused to give any evidence and instead disappeared.

The man in the Mercedes had pulled over in Royal Street, Waterloo, pleading for help with a gunshot wound in his leg on the night of June 16 last year.

A nurse stemmed the flow of blood and he was rushed to hospital – but discharged himself the next day and would not help police with an investigation.

But meticulous study of CCTV footage found he had exited a Pimlico car park an hour earlier – which the car was captured entering with the victim and the two culprits.

Hamza El Bhaireien, 18, of Mary Adelaide House, Paddington fled to Morocco after the shooting but was later held at Heathrow.

He previously admitted possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life and wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.

Osama Chafi, 22, of Ranston Street, Paddington also admitted the same charges.

At Southwark Crown Court on Tuesday, El Bhaireien was sentenced to 11 years in jail, while Chafi was sentenced to 11 years and four months.

Hamza El Bhaireien

On June 16 last year, El Bhaireien and Chafi travelled together as passengers in a Mercedes being driven by a 24-year-old man.

CCTV captured the car driving into an underground car park in Moreton Street, Pimlico shortly before 9.30pm.

Less than an hour later the car was captured leaving the car park with only the driver inside.

Around five minutes later, the driver pulled up in Royal Street and shouted out for help, saying he had been shot.

His cries were heard by a resident in a nearby block of flats, who managed to flag down the assistance of a nurse and other emergency services.

The victim was taken to hospital where it was discovered he had a gunshot wound to his upper thigh. He was discharged after spending a night in hospital.

Osama Chafi

He refused to co-operate with police about the circumstances that had led to his injuries.

Officers began an investigation and on June 20 a member of the public found a bullet on the floor of the car park which was handed over to police.

A motion sensor camera was also found to have recorded the sound of a gun being discharged twice on the night of the shooting, with CCTV showing the two defendants running through the car park immediately afterwards.

It also captured them leaving the premises, with the gun clearly being held by Chafi. The gun was later recovered in central London.

The defendants were identified by a local officer and, on July 16, Chafi was arrested.

El Bhaireien fled the country and travelled to Morocco, but was arrested when he got off the plane at Heathrow Airport on November 16. Both were remanded in custody and pleaded guilty on the first day of the trial.

Detective Sergeant Chris Ladmore, from Specialist Crime South, led the investigation, and said: “The victim in this case was unsupportive of prosecution and refused to provide any details of what happened.

“This, along with the fact there were no witnesses to the crime, made it a very difficult case to prove.

“However, thanks to the diligent work of the investigation team – including a meticulous trawl of CCTV in the area – the suspects were quickly identified and arrested.

“They denied the offences right up until the first day of the trial, when they no doubt realised the extent of evidence against them left them with no other option but to admit their guilt.

“This successful prosecution means two violent individuals have been removed from London’s streets, as has the firearm itself.”

Top: Chafi pictured with the gun after the attack

Please support your local paper by making a donation



Please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ

Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing recently: “A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.

So if you have enjoyed reading this story, and if you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can buy our newspaper or make a donation, which will allow us to continue to bring stories like this one to you both in print and online.

Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *