Police to talk to shoppers on streets of Streatham a week after terror attack and Mayor and MP hold vigil

Police handed out leaflets appealing for information about the Streatham terror attack a week after attacker Sudesh Amman was shot dead by armed officers.

Detectives are still appealing for witnesses to the 20-year-old’s stabbing of a man in his 40s and a 51-year-old woman on Sunday February 2 around 2pm.

He was killed within a minute by police who had been tailing him since he left prison for terror offences on January 23.

London Mayor Sadiq Khan and Streatham MP Bell Ribeiro-Addy joined a vigil to focus on the unity of the community. The #StreathamStandsTogether vigil outside the Odeon Cinema on Streatham High Road on Saturday is part of a day of events organised by local community organisations.

Officers have identified more than 100 witnesses to the incident, seized over 250 exhibits. An extensive recovery process is also ongoing involving a team of officers reviewing hours of CCTV footage.

But they are still appealing to anyone who may have witnessed the incident, and with whom the investigation team hasn’t already spoken, to come forward with information.

Commander Richard Smith, head of the Met’s Counter Terrorism Command said: “We continue to carry out extensive enquiries and our focus remains on ensuring there is no wider threat connected with this incident. However, we are confident that this was an isolated incident and we have found nothing to suggest that this was anything other than the attacker acting completely on his own.

“Whilst we’ve already spoken to many people who witnessed the attack, we are still keen to speak with anyone who may have seen what happened last Sunday and who may have information that could still be useful to our enquiries. To that end we will have officers in the Streatham area on Sunday – a week on from the attack – giving out appeal leaflets and speaking with members of the public.”

Searches at an address in Streatham and an address in Bishop Stortford were carried out and are now complete and all cordons at the scene of the attack in Streatham High Road have been removed.

The man in his 40s, who was stabbed and seriously injured during the attack, remains in hospital in a critical, but stable condition. Two other women who were injured – one by glass shattered by a police bullet – were previously discharged from hospital.

The Met is liaising and co-operating with the Independent Office for Police Conduct as they conduct their necessary inquiries, and continue to support Her Majesties Coroner in respect of the death that occurred during this incident.

Police said they would like to thank the numerous members of the public who assisted officers and ambulance staff following what was a very difficult incident, and for the ongoing patience of the community while police enquiries continue in the area.

Anyone with information that could assist with the investigation can call police, in confidence, on 0800 789 321. In an emergency call 999. I would also ask the public to continue to remain vigilant and report any concerns they have to police.

The Met asks anyone with information, images or footage of the incident that this be shared with our investigation team. Image and video can be shared via the UK Police Image appeal website at www.ukpoliceimageappeal.com.

Those affected by the incident – even if they were not at the scene of it – are encouraged to seek support. Details of a range of emotional and practical support services are available at www.gov.uk/government/publications/helplines-and-support-victims-of-terrorist-attacks/helplines-and-support-victims-of-terrorist-attacks

Police have also reiterated earlier pleas for common sense and restraint in circulating pictures and videos of this incident – including images of the officers involved and of the victims.

Ms. Ribeiro-Addy said: “Evil terror attacks like these are designed to strike fear into the very heart of diverse communities like ours. But we will not be left divided and afraid in the aftermath of such a shock.

“An attack on any one of us is an attack on us all and I am proud to join the people of Streatham in unity as we process last weekend’s horrific events.”


Please support your local paper by making a donation

 

 

Please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ


Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing recently: “A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.

So if you have enjoyed reading this story, and if you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can buy our newspaper or make a donation, which will allow us to continue to bring stories like this one to you both in print and online.

Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *