The London Borough of Hounslow has approved planning permission for QPR’s new training ground in Heston.
The club acquired the 27-acre site in December and, following endorsement from the Mayor of London and the Secretary of State, work will commence from October 1. Pitch works, which will include undersoil heating, are expected to take nine months to complete. Work on the new training ground building will start before the end of the calendar year.
QPR CEO Lee Hoos said: “This is fantastic news for the club’s medium and long-term future so I am absolutely delighted, as are the owners.
“Investment in infrastructure, such as a bespoke training ground, is the greatest indication of an ownership which is here for the long term and genuinely believes in the growth of their football club.
“The owners will be personally covering a significant portion of the cost and we will also be issuing a bond to assist with the financing. This approach has been successfully carried out by Burnley and Norwich City previously.”
Full details regarding the QPR Bond will be released on Thursday September 30.
The vision for the state-of-the-art facility, which will accommodate the club’s first team, U23s and academy squads, is being delivered by an expert project team including planning advisors hgh Consulting, architects Studio Zoppini Architetti and global design engineering consultants Buro Happold.
Hgh is an independent planning consultancy with a strong track record of success and particular experience in delivering sports facilities, which include the Emirates and the London Olympic Stadium.
Patrick Grincell, co-founding director of hgh, said: “We have advised QPR throughout the process from site acquisition to securing planning permission and I am delighted to continue working with the club to deliver on its vision to provide a new state-of-the-art training facility.”
PICTURE: KEITH GILLARD
Please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ
Former Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing recently: “A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.
So if you have enjoyed reading this story, and if you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can buy our newspaper or make a donation, which will allow us to continue to bring stories like this one to you both in print and online.