BY CALUM FRASER
South Londoners will gather on Sunday to mark the first anniversary of the terror attacks in London Bridge and Borough Market.
On June 3 last year three men drove a van into pedestrians across London Bridge before jumping out and attacking people with knives in and around Borough Market.
A total of eight people died in the attack, 48 were injured and the attackers, Khuram Shazad Butt, Rachid Redouane and Youssef Zaghbam, were shot dead by the police.
On Sunday, a procession from Southwark Cathedral to the Southwark Needle monument at the corner of London Bridge and Duke Street Hill will take place before a national minute’s silence at 4.30pm.
Councillor Peter John, Leader of Southwark council, said: “June 3, 2017, is a day that will forever be imprinted in the memories of Southwark residents, other Londoners and friends from around the world whose lives tragically changed that night.
“The first anniversary is an emotional time for everyone involved, and we hope that all will find comfort and solace in the planned events, remembering those who were lost, and also those who suffered physical and psychological harm.
“But we must also be thankful for the heroism and commitment of many, many people who worked tirelessly in the hours, weeks and months that followed, to support those affected, and help our borough and city to remain united in the face of such cowardice and brutality.”
The Rev Andrew Nunn, Dean of Southwark and Amir Eden, Chairman of Bankside Residents’ Forum will be hosting a Grand Iftar at Southwark Cathedral to mark the occasion in the evening.
Iftar is one of the religious observances of Ramadan, where people gather to break their fast each evening. This year, Ramadan runs until June 14.
The evening will start at 8pm and it will include speeches, performances and a testimony from those who were affected by the London Bridge attacks, including traders, residents and tourists.
Rev Nunn said: “It is a privilege to be able to host this service of commemoration on the first anniversary of the London Bridge attack.
“Having been at the heart of the events of that dreadful night, it is right that the Cathedral is the focus for our remembering and prayers for healing and peace.
“We hope that the families of those who died, those who were injured and all who were in any way caught up in the horror will find the service a source of strength and hope.”
The London United ‘Book of Hope’ will be at Southwark Cathedral on Saturday, June 2 and Sunday, June 3 for members of the public and guests at the service to leave messages of hope and condolence.
The digital book will then return to City Hall until Tuesday, June 19 as part of the Mayor of London’s activity marking the anniversaries of the four terrorist attacks in London last year in Westminster, London Bridge, Finsbury Park and Parsons Green.
This was agreed following consultation with the families who have lost loved ones, survivors, the Metropolitan Police and emergency services, and the local authorities in the areas affected.
Please support your local paper by making a donation
Please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ
Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing recently: “A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.
So if you have enjoyed reading this story, and if you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can buy our newspaper or make a donation, which will allow us to continue to bring stories like this one to you both in print and online.