firstname.lastname@example.org Tahnoon Nimer has won his boardroom battle with Matt Southall – but the impact of the coronavirus outbreak has left fresh funding fears for Charlton Athletic.
The Championship season will not resume until April 3 – at the earliest – as measures are taken to slow the spread of the virus.
There were already concerns amongst staff that the Addicks’ financial reserves would run out before the campaign finished.
Now the Addicks not only face a delay to the completion of their fixtures – if the season even ends – but also will receive no income from gate receipts for three weeks and still have staff salaries to pay.
At the time of our paper going to press, Syrian businessman Nimer had still not gained EFL approval for his takeover of Charlton Athletic.
The EFL issued a statement last week saying that East Street Investments’ takeover of the South London club still needed them to provide the source and sufficiency of funds – which has been the case since January.
It is thought that the latter means a sum of £17million being made accessible so that Charlton can cover running costs until June 2021.
On top of that there is also the “legal obligation” that ESI negotiated with Roland Duchatelet to buy the freehold of The Valley and the Sparrows Lane training ground. The full cost of the takeover is believed to exceed £60m.
Duchatelet has been contacted by the South London Press but the Belgian tycoon has not returned our calls.
There now looks to be no obstacles in the way of Nimer providing the final documentation after his dispute with Southall appeared to reach a conclusion on Thursday evening which has seen the executive chairman stay away from club property.
Nimer’s lawyer Chris Farnell was approached for comment but said his client was flying and that he would be unable to provide an update until today.
The EFL have placed Charlton under a “registration embargo” since January and that means that the club were not able to increase their expenditure in the latest transfer window.
They were only allowed to replace loan exits from the squad with temporary incomings.
Charlton dropped into the bottom three of the Championship after the last round of fixtures and will face a drop in revenue of more than £8m if they make an instant return to League One.
PICTURE BY PAUL EDWARDS
Please support your local paper by making a donation
Cheques should be made payable to “MSI Media Limited” and sent by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ
Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing recently: “A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.
So if you have enjoyed reading this story, and if you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can buy our newspaper or make a donation, which will allow us to continue to bring stories like this one to you both in print and online. Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.
Get the latest local news delivered every week!