Sean Williams – stabbed to death trying to break up fight at unlicensed party in Catford – was “loving and caring man”

A man who was stabbed to death after breaking up a fight at an unlicensed party has been called “a loving and caring man”.

Sean Williams, 34, was stabbed to death in the early hours of Sunday morning after a fight broke out at a party in Culverley Road in Catford.

The fight spilled out on to the street at around 5.30am when Mr Williams was stabbed.

A neighbour described seeing a man on the floor in blood with around 40 people standing beside him.

Friends and family have since gathered to lay flowers and messages at the scene.

“I’m speechless,” said Ami, a close friend of Sean’s. “He had a heart of gold and would do anything for anyone. That was his problem.

“He was a cook. He loved to cook. Jerk chicken was his favourite. He loved to party. Loved music. He was a very loving and caring man. As they say ‘the good die young’.”

Mr Williams was found down the road from an unlicensed party that took place in the shared gardens of a block of flats in Culverley Road.

Sean Williams

One resident in the block of flats who was on a camping holiday with his wife at the time of the party said he was shocked when he returned that day to a police cordon outside his flat.

“It was shocking to find this had happened in my garden,” said 29-year-old Tom Sibley.

“I came home and they were washing the blood off the pavement. I rode past the London Bridge terror attacks when they were cleaning the blood off the pavement. I can’t believe it’s happened twice in one year.

“I noticed some chairs had been taken from my garden and a neighbour said the police had been looking for a weapon in my garden.

“There were loads of wristbands with VIP written on them left on the floor and a neighbour said there was a bar. There was a marquee which was only taken down on Monday evening.

“This is generally a safe area but it doesn’t feel so safe now.

Another neighbour who wished to remain anonymous confirmed there was a marquee and that he had heard singing and dancing all night and was woken by “a big commotion” at 5.30am.

Two neighbours said the police had been called hours before the stabbing but no emergency services arrived until after the stabbing. The Metropolitan Police had not responded to the accusation at the time of publication.

A second victim – a 37-year-old man – went to a South London hospital with a knife wound to the hand. His injuries were not life-threatening.

A 38-year-old man from Brockley was arrested on Monday on suspicion of murder and attempted murder.

On Tuesday he was charged with grievous bodily harm and was remanded in custody to appear at Bromley Magistrates Court that same day where he was remanded in custody to appear at Woolwich Crown Court on October 7.

He has been bailed in connection with the allegation of murder pending further enquiries.

Anyone with information is asked to call police on 101 or Tweet @MetCC, quoting CAD 1832/06Sep.

Pictured top: Floral tribues left at the scene (Picture: James Twomey)


Please support your local paper by making a donation

 

 

Please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ


Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing recently: “A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.

So if you have enjoyed reading this story, and if you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can buy our newspaper or make a donation, which will allow us to continue to bring stories like this one to you both in print and online.

Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *