Non-League FootballSport

Injury-depleted Welling United lose 4-2 at Weston-super-Mare


It was another case of travel sickness for Welling United when they were brought back down to earth at Weston-super-Mare in their National League South match.

Danny Bloor’s side have not won a league game on the road since the August Bank Holiday weekend and the euphoria of their home victory against league leaders Yeovil Town was wiped away.

Although Bloor would not want to make excuses, the fact that he was without three of his four options at centre-back through injury did not help, and when right-back Crossley Lema pulled up in the pre-match warm up, it was a further blow.

Both teams like to play a passing game and some of the football in the early stages was pleasing on the eye without either side creating clearcut chances. Weston’s Jordan Bastin fired across the face of goal then their captain, Dayle Grubb tried his luck. His shot was pushed on to the post and out by Welling goalkeeper Reice Charles-Cook.

Bastin shot straight at Charles-Cook before Welling had a great chance to go ahead when Cameron Green picked out Tristan Abrahams but his first time volley from 10 yards out flew over.

Shortly after, Weston went ahead. Grubb delivered a corner and Rueben Reid flicked his header inside the far post. He might have scored again soon after but fired over from Robbie Willmott’s low cross. James Morton was off target for the hosts just before half time.


Eight minutes after the break, Welling were awarded a penalty when Jephte Tanga cut in along the byline and was tripped by Bastin. Abrahams took the responsibility and although the Seagulls goalkeeper Max Harris got a firm hand to it, it had too much power and flew into the net.

Four minutes later, the hosts went back ahead. In his attempt to cut out Robbie Willmott’s cross, emergency centre-back Will Wood could only head into his own net.

Sam Avery snatched at a shot and put it wide before Welling’s Dominic Odusanya had a shot tipped round the post by Harris at the other end. Lachlan Byrd tried to direct Josh Chambers’ corner home but his header came back off the bar, then Tanga had a low shot saved.

Any hopes that Welling had of getting something from the match were ended when Morton found Reid at the far post and he made no mistake with a clinical finish.

Morton added a fourth with nine minutes remaining by finishing at close range from Willmott’s cross and although Chambers scored for Welling two minutes later, it was too little too late.

To add to Bloor’s problems, Wood, and then Abrahams, limped off with injuries and he will have to consider his options when his team visits Aveley on Monday evening.


Subscribe to Blog via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.

Former Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing:


If you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can make a donation which will allow us to continue to bring stories to you, both in print and online. Or please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.