Stoke City 3 Charlton Athletic 1: Potters leapfrog Addicks after disappointing display on the road


Stoke leapfrogged Charlton at the wrong end of the Championship table after a comfortable home win at the bet365 Stadium.

The Potters had the lead midway through the first period thanks to a tap-in from James McClean, before Charlton levelled against the run of play just before the break through Ben Purrington.

But Stoke edged back ahead shortly after the restart after Tom Ince fired home, with Nick Powell adding a third on 66 minutes.

The South Londoners  sit just one place above the Championship drop-zone, still four points above Wigan after their home defeat against Preston this lunchtime.

The hosts took the game to Charlton from the off. Former Swansea man Sam Clucas saw a shot charged down by Tom Lockyer after a marauding run forward from McClean in the opening exchanges.

Andre Green takes the ball beyond Stoke’s Joe Allen. Kyle Andrews

The Addicks were seldom out of their own half in the first period. Skipper Jason Pearce floated a header over from a corner on a rare foray forward but it was some slack defending from a set-piece at the other end that saw the hosts break the deadlock.

Clucas’ deep free-kick was headed back across the face of goal, where McClean was unmarked to sidefoot into an empty goal on 28 minutes.

Lee Bowyer’s side were struggling to make their mark on the contest as the hosts dominated possession – so it came as a real surprise as the South Londoners drew level on the stroke of half-time.

Ben Purrington celebrates his equaliser with Lyle Taylor. Kyle Andrews


Jason Pearce challenges for a header. Kyle Andrews

Josh Cullen and Andre Green worked a smart one-two down the right, with the latter swinging in a superb low cross for Purrington to volley home – although there was some suggestion that Stoke’s Tommy Smith may have got the final touch.

The 1,934 travelling supporters may have hoped that goal would give their side a lift, but they fell behind again within two minutes of the restart.

Joe Allen slipped Ince away inside the Addicks area, with the former Blackpool man slotting beyond Dillon Phillips. There seemed to be more than a hint of offside in the build up but the flag stayed down as the hosts restored their lead.

The visitors nearly levelled again as Pearce met another corner at the other end – Lyle Taylor just unable to add a telling touch to divert the ball beyond Butland – with the game then killed off 25 minutes from time.

Michael O’Neill’s side worked their way down the Addicks left, with Powell managing to get in front of Lockyer to lift a low cross into the roof of the net and finish the Addicks off.


Please support your local paper by making a donation



Please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ

Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing recently: “A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.

So if you have enjoyed reading this story, and if you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can buy our newspaper or make a donation, which will allow us to continue to bring stories like this one to you both in print and online.

Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.

2 thoughts on “Stoke City 3 Charlton Athletic 1: Potters leapfrog Addicks after disappointing display on the road

  • 8th February 2020 at 8:46 pm

    I was at the match today. Should Charlton have had two players sent off? I was perplexed by the referees rationale? As a Charlton Reporter, I just wondered what you thought?
    Regards David

  • 8th February 2020 at 10:21 pm

    Michael O’Neill had worked magic with his players They look like they can a lot higher in the league!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *