T-levels: Clapham student one of first national cohort to complete new qualification

A student from Clapham has become one of the first in the country to complete a T-level course, a new school qualification on offer for the first time this year.

Shechinah Asomaning-Ashmead, 17, studied a T-level in Digital Design and Development at La Retraite Catholic School for Girls in Clapham.

T-levels are equivalent to three A-levels and were developed in collaboration with employers to meet the needs of industry and prepare students for work, further training or study. 

T-levels are two-year courses that mix classroom learning 80 per cent of time with an ‘on the job’ industry placement for the remaining 20 per cent of the time.

Shechinah started studying her T-level in Digital Design and Development as she wants to go into cyber security and ethical hacking. 

She said she wants to break the stigma of IT being a male-dominated profession, become a role model for other black women and help protect consumers from cyber attacks. 

She really enjoyed her placement in the Department of Transport where she has learnt a lot about Google analytics, IT programming, service security as well as key business skills.

She said: “On my T-level journey, making a decision, choosing my profession, my uni, my course; it was all on me.

“It’s opened so many doors and opportunities that I thought I’d never have and I am proud of myself, so it is good to be your own hero.

“I was inspired to do T-levels by going to talks and listening to different businesses discuss the 20 per cent placement aspect of the course.

“I didn’t start with an IT background, but doing it now has been eye-opening and I feel like I am performing to the best of my ability learning these new skills.

“I would say to young people from ethnic minority background to go for it and standout.

“I really want to break the stigma of IT being a male dominated profession and become a role model for other black women as well as help protect consumers from cyber-attacks.”

Pictured top: Shechinah Asomaning- Ashmead studied a T-level in Digital Design and Development at La Retraite Catholic School for Girls in Clapham (Picture: Shechinah Asomaning-Ashmead)

 

 


 

Please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ


Former Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing: “A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.

So if you have enjoyed reading this story, and if you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can buy our newspaper or make a donation, which will allow us to continue to bring stories like this one to you both in print and online.

Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.