Talks still ongoing over ownership of Charlton

Another takeover of Charlton, this time by former Ritz owner Andrew Barclay, is still a possibility, though it is unlikely to happen before games restart.

The Addicks’ owner Tahnoon Nimer has relinquished his interest in the club – which should at least enable manager Lee Bowyer to talk to his boss – the Addicks’ chief had not spoken to Nimer for six weeks.

Nimer has now handed control of the club, five months after taking control, to a consortium put together by his lawyer, Chris Farnell, and a Manchester businessman Paul Elliott.

Barclay, together with former Valley chief executive Peter Varney, expressed an interest in buying the club last week amid a possible string of bids.

But his bid now appears to be the only one on the table and the two sides are set to meet in the coming days.

Former Swansea owner Huw Jenkins had an option but did not take it up as the Addicks dropped into the relegation zone. And Portuguese consortium Corporate Football Organisation Portugal had not offered any money to Nimer before last Friday’s deadline.

Varney said today: “Andrew and I have been kept fully informed by the new Charlton owners and discussions between us are progressing.”

Farnell, a senior partner at IPS Law, was involved in the takeover of Leeds by Italian Massimo Cellino in 2013.

Before that, he had been legal adviser to Swansea City.

Farnell was also involved in Sheffield United’s legal action against West Ham United over the “Tevez affair” in 2008.

Nimer’s East Street Investments group bought Charlton for £1 in January, giving supporters hope of a new era after fierce protests against former owner Roland Duchatelet. 

But Nimer and partner Matt Southall fell out over expenses issues, which culminated in the removal of former agent Southall as chairman in March.

Ex-chairman Roland Duchatelet still owns The Valley and Charlton’s training ground in Sparrow’s Lane.

Nimer said on Instagram last night: “I have made the difficult decision to hand the club over to a consortium that will have sufficient time and be in a position to take the club forward.”


Please support your local paper by making a donation

 

 

Please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ


Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing recently: “A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.

So if you have enjoyed reading this story, and if you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can buy our newspaper or make a donation, which will allow us to continue to bring stories like this one to you both in print and online.

Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.


One thought on “Talks still ongoing over ownership of Charlton

  • 9th June 2020 at 4:08 pm
    Permalink

    Come back King Roland, we’re better off with you back in charge of our gaff.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *