This week: 10, 20, 30 years ago


A teenager fell to her death from a 17th-storey window during a police visit to a flat on Tuesday.

The 18-year-old, who has not yet been named by police, was alone in a bedroom when officers entered the flat in Hastings House, Mulgrave Road, Woolwich, at 9.30am.

A man who was also in the flat was arrested by plain-clothes officers at the scene on suspicion of assisting an offender. He was taken to a South London police station and was later released on bail.

The woman’s next of kin have been informed, but no formal identification had taken place before we went to press.

A post-mortem was carried out on Wednesday, but no results have been released.

The Met Police Directorate of Professional Standards is investigating the case, and the Independent Police Complaints commission has also been informed.

Oscar Wilde’s final play, The Importance Of Being Earnest, is being staged by the Dulwich Players next week. The play, written in 1895, concerns the complicated love lives of two men.

John Worthing is courting Gwendolen Fairfax, against the wishes of her mother Lady Bracknell.

Algernon Moncrieff, Lady Bracknell’s nephew, falls for Worthing’s young ward Cecily Cardew. The play is packed with Wilde’s witty observations on the social pretensions of the day.

The Importance Of Being Earnest is at the Edward Alleyn Theatre at Dulwich College from Thursday until Saturday, April 21.

Performances are at 8pm with a Saturday matinee at 2.30pm. Call the box office on 020 8693 4830.


Former world welterweight boxing champion Lloyd Honeyghan roped in Uri Geller to help get one of his protégés back on winning form.

Mr Honeyghan, pictured, brought in the spoon-bending psychic to hypnotise young boxer Calvin Stonestreet ahead of his clash with Welsh fighter Alex Gething. And the move paid dividends as Stonestreet drew with Welsh debutant Gething at Caesars nightclub in Streatham.

Mr Honeyghan started his own career at the Fisher Boxing Club in Bermondsey before rising to fame in the 1980s.

Proposals to build covered walkways to cut trouble outside The Den were announced by Millwall Football Club.

Southwark council gave the club planning permission for the tunnels amid complaints from residents about trouble away from the terraces.

The 910m walkways were designed to allow police to usher away teams’ fans out of the area to avoid pitched battles between rival “firms” of supporters.

Although it was hoped the walkways ferrying fans from the ground to South Bermondsey railway station would be ready for the start of the football season in August, they were not actually installed until three years later.

Plans to build the Shard at London Bridge station were given the green light by London Mayor Ken Livingstone.

Ten years on the Shard, which was originally called The Glass Shard by architects Renzo Piano, is nearing completion, with luxury flats and offices already occupied.

It was left to then Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions Stephen Byers to consider whether there was a case for the capital’s tallest building to be built.


Campaigners gathered en masse at Battersea Power Station to protest about the state of the iconic building.

The rally took place a week after English Heritage had named the power station as one of 960 buildings on its at-risk register.

The building, in Kirtling Street, Nine Elms, was owned by leisure tycoon John Broome, whose plan to turn the site into a Disneyland-style theme park foundered as the cost soared from £40million to £200million.

A plaque honouring police officers involved in the Marchioness riverboat disaster was unveiled by the then Met Police commissioner Eddie Mulholland in Wapping.

The move upset the relatives of those whose loved ones died in the disaster on the Thames in August 1989.

Eleven officers helped to pull 50 of the 80 survivors out of the water after the pleasure boat was hit by dredger Bowbelle.

The plaque, which was unveiled at the river police headquarters, was criticised for making no mention of the other unsung heroes who helped people to safety in the early hours.

A bus garage that cost £4.5million to build was closed after just six years.

More than 200 workers lost their jobs when South London Transport closed Streatham Bus Garage in Streatham High Road.

Drivers, maintenance staff and secretaries as well as back room staff were made redundant by the company after it lost the tender for three bus routes through the capital.

The move was met with anger by politicians and union bosses, who said closing the depot would lead to delays for passengers.




Please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ

Former Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing: “A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.

So if you have enjoyed reading this story, and if you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can buy our newspaper or make a donation, which will allow us to continue to bring stories like this one to you both in print and online.

Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.