Thomas Sandgaard says there is “no merit” over Paul Elliott’s claim he is rightful owner of Charlton Athletic

Thomas Sandgaard says there is “no merit” in Paul Elliott’s claim that he is the rightful owner of Charlton Athletic.

The American-based Dane took control of the Addicks in late September with the EFL greenlighting the takeover as well as lifting a transfer embargo which had been in place since the start of 2020.

But Elliott issued a statement in which he claimed his legal case – to determine his claim on Charlton – had been settled in his favour in October after Tahnoon Nimer failed to provide court documentation before a deadline.

The court in Manchester had previously heard that Elliott had put around £500,000 into the South London club – then in the Championship – to cover running costs over the summer months.

Elliott, via his company Lex Dominus, was attempting to block the sale of Charlton to any other interested party while he waited for the trial to start on November 23.

Lex Dominus obtained an injunction in mid-September but Sandgaard announced he had acquired the club.

“We always argued that we had a legal agreement to purchase the club and that has now been justified by the making of the court order,” said Elliott in his statement. “Mr Sandgaard has been given notice to leave the club immediately.”

But Sandgaard told talkSPORT today: “It’s pretty entertaining what these guys come up with. Our attorneys have responded – they got two lines back, which I think offended them.

“There’s absolutely no merit to this. The other thing is just noise that I have to deal with but no-one else should have to worry about.

“Any letter from an attorney should be taken seriously. But treat it accordingly. Anyone can claim anything. It’s always a question whether it can be proved in a court of law. We feel as though we’re done with all that.”

The South London Press had been told that the EFL were aware of Elliott’s statement but they have made no comment of their own.

Asked about what the governing body have said to him about it, Sandgaard replied: “Nothing. They probably assume I should be able to take care of it and they shouldn’t need to be involved.

“English football deserves a lot better than what a club like Charlton has gone through in the first half of 2020. That could’ve been avoided – as far as I can tell.”

Elliott’s statement said: “As a result of Panorama Magic General Contracting LLF’s failure to comply with the Unless Order dated October 22 2020, it has been ordered that the defendant’s defence dated 25 May 2020 is struck out in its entirety.

Paul Elliott
Charlton Athletic v Reading SkyBet Championship, The Valley, 11 July 2020
Picture by Keith Gillard

“It is declared, that the written sales and purchase agreement between the claimant (Lex Dominus) and the defendant dated 30 May 2020 in respect of the shares in East Street Investments Limited, is valid and binding – and this means Lex Dominus is the true owner of Charlton Athletic Football Club and, has been since May 30, 2020.

“It means the former directors of East Street Investments, had no authority to sell anything to anyone, not least agree the sale of Charlton Athletic Football Club to Mr Thomas Sandgaard. Put simply, It was not their asset to sell.

“We have written to the club lawyers asking them to inform Mr Sandgaard immediately, and the English Football League.

“We never wanted to get to this position, and we certainly do not wish to cause further distress or disruption to Charlton Athletic or its supporters.

“We have attempted to get all parties around the table to discuss a way forward, but, despite our best efforts and Mr Sandgaard’s statements to the media about doing the right thing’ our efforts have been ignored.

“We always argued that we had a legal agreement to purchase the club and that has now been justified by the making of the court order. Mr Sandgaard has been given notice to leave the club immediately.

“We, as always, remain willing to talk, but we also reserve the right to assert our legal ownership of the club.”


Please support your local paper by making a donation

 

 

Please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ


Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing recently: “A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.

So if you have enjoyed reading this story, and if you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can buy our newspaper or make a donation, which will allow us to continue to bring stories like this one to you both in print and online.

Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.


2 thoughts on “Thomas Sandgaard says there is “no merit” over Paul Elliott’s claim he is rightful owner of Charlton Athletic

  • 17 November 2020 at 5:32 pm
    Permalink

    We don’t want Elliott dahn our gaff so e can naff orff.

    Reply
  • 17 November 2020 at 7:10 pm
    Permalink

    Why does this person still keep on making noises and just being a proverbial pain in the backside !!. He was declared not to be a fit and proper person by the EFL and that in itself speaks volumes and his associate, Farnell has gone elsewhere. Yes the law is the law and there is never any room for sentiment within it, but I just cannot believe that Mr. Sandgaard would be silly enough to just take a ‘chance’ on acquiring CAFC if it was not a legal and binding transaction. We will see what happens at the court hearing later this month.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *