Thousands of pro-Palestine protesters took to the streets on Saturday for a march for Palestine.
More than 1,000 police officers were deployed as crowds marched through Portland Place to Regent Street, Piccadilly, Trafalgar Square and Whitehall.
The Met said 15 people had been arrested for offences including assaults on emergency workers and setting off fireworks in public places.
It comes a week after the UK-proscribed terrorist organisation, Hamas, launched an attack on Israel last Sunday.
Fighters from the Palestinian militant group entered Israeli communities near the Gaza strip killing at least 1,300 people.
Gilad Erdan, Israel’s ambassador to the United Nations, has also confirmed the total number of hostages seized by the group was between 100 and 150.
Since the attack, the Israeli Government has launched retaliatory air strike attacks which have killed more than 2,200 people in Gaza so far. A ground offensive is also expected.
Protesters chant “Palestine we will never let you die” as they pass through Piccadilly Circus (Video: Claudia Lee)
The conflict follows decades of Israeli control along the border and apartheid rule over the Palestinian population.
At the peaceful protest – organised by the Palestine Solidarity Campaign – men, women, children and families walked holding banners, waving flags above their heads and chanting slogans to show support as the death toll continues to rise in the region.
Police had authorised a public order act ahead of the march, meaning any protests that deviated from the route could be arrested.
Certain areas were covered by a Section 60AA public order, which requires a person to remove masks or anything that might be used to conceal identity. Four of the seven arrests were made under these powers.
Aldib Nour, 20, of St George’s Circus, Elephant and Castle, was arrested in King Charles Street. He has been charged with possession of a knife in a public place and bailed to appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on November 7.
A penalty notice for disorder was issued to a 20-year-old man from Waltham Forest for throwing a firework in a public place.
Three young people were referred to Youth Offending Teams for separate offences of assaulting an emergency worker, possession of a firework in a public place and failing to comply with a requirement to remove a face covering.
The Met have also said enquiries continue into four men – three of whom were arrested on suspicion of assaulting an emergency worker and the fourth for threatening behaviour.
A man arrested on suspicion of criminal damage to a police vehicle has been released under investigation.
Three people who were arrested on the day have been released without further action.
A spokesman from the Met said: “There is no place for hate in London and we will use the law to ensure anyone who engages in such behaviour is held to account.”
Pictured top: Protesters during the March for Palestine on Saturday in London with a sign that reads Gaza is Bleeding (Picture: PA)
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.
Former Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing:
“A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.
If you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can make a donation which will allow us to continue to bring stories to you, both in print and online. Or, please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ