Three drug dealers jailed for sustained Burgess Park attack using improvised flame thrower

Three men who brutally assaulted an alleged fellow member of their drug gang in a sustained attack over several hours have been jailed.

The trio tortured their victim using an aerosol as an improvised flame to burn his arm and forced him into a dog cage.

The three were all found guilty of causing grievous bodily harm with intent and false imprisonment at Inner London Crown Court in November.

The three convicted were

  • Dennis Camara, 25, of Aylton Estate, Renforth Street, Canada Water;
  • Alan Niango, 24, of Orb Street, Walworth;
  • Axel Harvey, 25, of Arnside Street, Burgess Park

Niango and Harvey were jailed for 10 years for the grievous bodily harm (GBH) and seven years for false imprisonment; sentences to run concurrently.

Camara was given nine years’ imprisonment for GBH and six years’ imprisonment for false imprisonment.

All were jailed yesterday, Thursday, 12 December, at the same court, following an investigation by the Met’s Central South Command Unit.

The court heard police received multiple calls to Roffo Court, Burgess Park at around 8.30pm on 24 July 2018. The calls were made by members of the public who could see a man on a balcony and hear him desperately shouting for help.

Officers found the victim, a 49-year-old man, inside a flat which had been completely ransacked, with the sofa tipped over and furniture strewn about.

The victim told police that he had been attacked for several hours by three men who were not known to him.

The victim was taken to hospital where he was found to have suffered a fractured jaw and burns to his arm. He told police that he had been beaten about the head with an aerosol can and burnt with cigarettes. The suspects had also derived a makeshift ‘flame-thrower’ from the aerosol can and a lighter to burn the victims arm. The victim also told police he had been forced into a dog cage while the suspects threatened him.

An investigation was launched by detectives from the Central South Command Unit.

Camara was identified as being one of those responsible after a set of car keys were discovered at the crime scene, as well as his vehicle parked outside, and he was found to be the registered keeper. The following day Camara tried to report the vehicle as having been stolen the day before the attack in an attempt to distance himself from the crime scene.

Niango’s presence was established through forensic evidence. He handed himself in to police on 30 July 2018 and was charged and remanded. Camara would hand himself into police later the same day. He was interviewed and released on bail.

The third suspect, Harvey, was identified and arrested in August 2018.

Investigating officers established that the trio had been using the victim’s address to store suspected Class A drugs. They blamed the victim after some of the drugs allegedly went missing and brutally attacked him.

The victim was initially too afraid to say that he knew his attackers.

Detective Constable Sam Cafferty, from South Central Command Unit, said: “The victim was absolutely terrified and in fear of his life during the incident and is still struggling to come to terms with what happened to him. He has sleepless nights and he is scared whenever he is out in public.

“Camera, Niango and Harvey carried out their cowardly and vicious attack over several hours, not only inflicting serious injuries, but humiliating the victim as well.

“Now, they will spend time behind bars.”

Please support your local paper by making a donation



Please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ

Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing recently: “A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.

So if you have enjoyed reading this story, and if you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can buy our newspaper or make a donation, which will allow us to continue to bring stories like this one to you both in print and online.

Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *