By Rafi Mauro-Benady
Around 40 firefighters and six fire engines from four stations were called to tackle a flat fire on Wednesday.
A first floor flat in the three-storey block in Chadwick Way, Thamesmead, was engulfed and destroyed by the “very well developed fire”.
Part of a second-floor flat was also damaged.
Four people escaped before the fire brigade arrived. A man and two women were taken to hospital by ambulance.
The emergency call was placed at 7.57am and the fire was under control by 9am.
Crews from Plumstead, Erith, Bexley and East Greenwich fire stations helped tackle the inferno.
Station Commander Lisa King, who was at the scene, said: “Crews were faced with a very well developed fire when they arrived and worked hard to bring the blaze under control.
“There were a lot of possessions and clutter in the property which made it challenging for firefighters.
“Hoarding means exit routes can become blocked, making safe evacuation more difficult.
“Fires can also spread much faster, especially when there are flammable items such as newspapers or cardboard.”
The fire has been recorded as accidental and is believed to have been caused by an electrical fault.
Please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ
Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing recently: “A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.
So if you have enjoyed reading this story, and if you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can buy our newspaper or make a donation, which will allow us to continue to bring stories like this one to you both in print and online.