Two people were treated by ambulance crews and 200 have been evacuated from their homes after a gas leak broke out in a doctors surgery early this morning.
Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters are currently at the scene at the surgery in Jonathan Street, Vauxhall.
Around 200 people from neighbouring residential buildings have been evacuated as a precaution and a 100 metre cordon is currently in place.
A respite centre has been set up at a church nearby for those who have been displaced from their homes.
Two people have been assessed by London Ambulance Service crews at the scene.
A number of road closures are currently in place including Jonathan Street and surrounding roads.
The London Fire Brigade was called at around 4.30am. Crews from Lambeth and Soho fire stations remain at the scene.
A spokesperson from the London Fire Brigade (LFB) said: “Crews are working alongside multi-agency service partners to make the scene safe.”
Pictured top: Firefighters at the scene this morning (Picture: LFB)
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.
Former Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing:
“A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.
If you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can make a donation which will allow us to continue to bring stories to you, both in print and online. Or, please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ