Charlton AthleticSport

Up to seven first-team Charlton Athletic players may miss Saturday’s match at Burton Albion

Charlton Athletic could be heading to Burton Albion without at least seven first-team players – two of those due to international duty.

The Addicks will definitely be missing Conor Washington and Chris Gunter for the trip north as they are away on international duty with Northern Ireland and Wales respectively.

The fact that Harry Arter was not selected by the Republic of Ireland did not give Charlton the three call-ups needed to have the option to postpone the fixture.

In the last international break they were able to do that because Hady Ghandour had been selected by Lebanon. But the former Tooting & Mitcham striker is on loan at Maidstone United.

Adam Matthews Picture: Keith Gillard

Ryan Inniss has been ruled out for an extended period of time while Sam Lavelle is also facing a lengthy spell on the sidelines.

Charlton have also been missing Jonathan Leko (hip) and Adam Matthews (calf) for recent matches. Pape Souare came off in the EFL Trophy loss to Leyton Orient.

Asked about Leko and Matthews, caretaker manager Jackson told the South London Press: “They are getting closer but the weekend may be just too soon for them.

“Hopefully after that they should be available. We’ve got to be careful that we don’t lose them for a longer period of time.

“Pape came off with a tight hamstring and we’re monitoring that.

“Conor has been playing every game up front and so we need to find an alternative. It’s a bit of a blow because he has been playing well and scoring goals. He’ll obviously be a loss. And Gunter has come in and done well as the right-sided centre-half position.

“It’s two losses but it’s an opportunity for others to make their mark.”

PICTURES: PAUL EDWARDS & KEITH GILLARD

Subscribe to Blog via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

 


Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.

Former Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing:

“A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.

   

 

   

If you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can make a donation which will allow us to continue to bring stories to you, both in print and online. Or, please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

Adblocker Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your adblocker, we offer you free stories and only ask for your support in return!

Refresh Page