BY CALUM FRASER
A man who pretended to be a woman and tricked four men into sexual acts with him has been convicted.
Duarte Xavier, 34, from Wandsworth, convinced several men to meet him and wear a blindfold.
Xavier would then try to coerce the men into sexual activities. Only one victim had full intercourse with the predator as the rest removed the blindfolds and ran off in disgust.
Kingston Crown Court heard that Xavier was a liar and fantasist who carried out his crimes over several years.
He would use online dating websites to masquerade as a woman named ‘Ana’, entering into conversations and sending provocative pictures to heterosexual men, who were fooled by his online persona into meeting for sex.
When they agreed to meet for sex, ‘Ana’ would set a series of conditions, including that the victim must wear a blindfold for the duration of the encounter and were not allowed to touch in return.
On the first reported incident, on February 17, 2016 a 45-year-old man had been communicating with ‘Ana’ through a dating app and arranged to meet at ‘Ana’s’ flat.
Rules had been set prior to the victim’s arrival so that both apparently knew what would happen; ‘Ana’ told the victim that he would not see her throughout their encounter.
Upon arrival at an address in Wandsworth, the victim followed the instructions and found a blindfold in the bedroom.
He heard ‘Ana’ call his name and put the blindfold on. The pair began having sex when the victim realised something was wrong and removed the blindfold, when he saw Xavier.
The man was enraged and immediately left the address. Xavier sent a message to the victim afterwards, saying ‘I got a mental health problem, sorry’.
Detective Constable Lucy Marsh, of Wandsworth police, said: “The crimes Xavier committed are unique in their depravity.
All of the victims had no reason to believe that they were not engaging with a woman and all have stated unequivocally that they would never have given their consent to sexual relations with another man.
“Xavier has demonstrated extreme manipulation and cunning in order to satisfy his own sexual gratification, setting bizarre conditions that the victims adhered to in the belief that they were part of the experience.”
On 15 October 2017, a 29-year-old man messaged ‘Ana’ via a dating app and received a response that ‘she’ was a recently single female ‘looking for a bit of fun’.
The pair talked over WhatsApp, exchanging pictures and a video call. They arranged to meet for sex the same day at a flat in Hardwick Square, Wandsworth.
The third incident took place on Wednesday, April 4, 2018. The victim, a 26-year-old man, had been looking for sexual relations with women on a website when he received a message from ‘Ana’, advertising herself as a 35-year-old woman.
The pair arranged a video call via WhatsApp, where ‘Ana’ stated that she had to conceal her identity so as to avoid getting caught because she was married.
The pair arranged to meet at ‘Ana’s’ address, which was in darkness when the victim arrived. He said ‘hello’ and was instructed to close the door and go upstairs.
As the victim went upstairs, he felt a person grab him and pull his trousers down. An item, believed to be a pillow case, was put over his head.
He asked to see that the person he had been communicating with was actually female, to which ‘Ana’ said ‘no’ and began performing a sexual act. The victim used the light from his mobile phone and discovered that it was Xavier.
The fourth victim was identified by police after reviewing phone records from seized mobile phones. The victim in this incident, a 29-year-old man, had been too embarrassed and ashamed to tell anyone.
Xavier was convicted at Kingston Crown Court on Friday, October 5 of six counts of causing a male aged 13 or over to engage in penetrative sexual activity.
He had pleaded not guilty at an earlier hearing at Kingston Crown Court on Wednesday, 16 May.
Please support your local paper by making a donation
Please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ
Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing recently: “A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.
So if you have enjoyed reading this story, and if you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can buy our newspaper or make a donation, which will allow us to continue to bring stories like this one to you both in print and online.