Police investigating parcel bombs sent to Waterloo station are linking the packages to those sent to British Army Recruitment Centres in 2014.
Detectives want to hear from postal workers who may have come into contact with the devices, sent via post to major transport hubs in the capital as well as to Glasgow University between 1 March and 22 March, Scotland Yard said.
Three packages containing small incendiary devices were delivered to transport hubs in London on March 5.
The following day, a fourth package was recovered at the University of Glasgow.
A fifth package was recovered on March 22, having been returned to a postal depot in Limerick, Ireland.
This package has since been forensically examined and is being treated as part of the same series.
A group calling itself the IRA, known to police as the New IRA, claimed responsibility for the earlier packages and said a fifth had also been sent.
Further analysis of the five packages has been carried out by forensic experts and, due to similarities between the devices and the methods used, the investigation teams are now linking the packages to those sent to British Army Recruitment Centres in 2014.
Deputy Assistant Commissioner Dean Haydon, senior national co-ordinator for the UK’s Counter Terrorism Policing, said: “Our inquiries continue, but clearly a key element of the investigation now is the link between the devices previously sent in 2014, and the five sent earlier this year.
“As with any investigation, we will be led by the evidence, but at this stage, our principal line of inquiry is that the devices were sent by a violent dissident republican group.
“The devices that were sent not only put their intended recipients in danger, but also endangered the lives of all those who handled and processed the parcels both in the Republic of Ireland as well as the UK.
“This was an extremely dangerous and reckless act and I would urge anyone who may have information about those responsible to contact police.
“We are looking to identify any postal workers who may remember handling any of the packages between March 1 and March 22.
“We have recovered forensic evidence following examination of the devices.
“You may have information that could help us with our investigation and it would also help with our forensic inquiries to be able to eliminate anyone who may have innocently come into contact with any of the five parcels after they were posted.”
A joint police investigation into the packages involves the Metropolitan Police Service Counter Terrorism Command, Police Scotland, the Police Service of Northern Ireland and the Garda in Ireland.
A Garda statement said: “This extremely dangerous and reckless act endangered the lives of innocent persons and could have caused serious harm to anyone handling these devices.”
The force said postal workers and members of the public had already provided useful information to detectives.
It added: “It is still possible members of the public may have information that could help us with our joint investigation and An Garda Siochana want to identify any person, postal workers or other persons, in Ireland who may remember collecting/seeing the parcels around 1 March 2019 from postal delivery locations within Ireland.
“The investigation to date has recovered forensic evidence, and An Garda Siochana and our partner agencies are keen to eliminate any person who may have innocently come in to contact with the parcels.”
Please support your local paper by making a donation
Cheques should be made payable to “MSI Media Limited” and sent by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ
Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing recently: “A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.
So if you have enjoyed reading this story, and if you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can buy our newspaper or make a donation, which will allow us to continue to bring stories like this one to you both in print and online. Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.
Get the latest local news delivered every week!