“We did nothing wrong” – Charlton boss Bowyer on bid for Boreham Wood attacker + confirms one more signing could be done

BY RICHARD CAWLEY
[email protected]

Lee Bowyer has spelled out that Charlton did everything by the book in their move for Boreham Wood winger Sorba Thomas.

The National League side have transfer-listed the 21-year-old, who was the subject of a six-figure bid by the Addicks before last Friday’s deadline.

Boreham Wood chairman Danny Hunter rejected it and issued a statement claiming the former West Ham youngster had been “advised” to pull out of their fixture last week “to perhaps force through a move”.

But Bowyer says that had absolutely nothing to do with the Addicks.

“We would never do that – we wouldn’t like it if our player did that,” the Charlton boss told the South London Press. “So there is no way we would be advising someone else to do that.”

There was a Championship side who made multiple bids for Alfie Doughty before the latest window closed.

Celtic had also pushed for the 20-year-old attacker, who is due to be out of contract at the end of June.

Asked if Charlton could try and make a fresh attempt for Thomas at the start of 2021, Bowyer replied: “I don’t know. We were concerned about losing Alfie and he [Thomas] is someone that we liked.

“We did everything by the book. We were made aware of him by his agent and Steve Gallen [Charlton’s director of football] spoke to their owner. We made an offer and they declined it.

“He’s a player that we liked, otherwise we wouldn’t have put in an offer.”

Charlton could still make another signing as they explore the possibility of bringing in a free agent.

They can have a 23-man squad and youngsters like Doughty, Albie Morgan and Chelsea loanee Ian Maatsen don’t have to be counted in that list.

“Steve has asked if we have got anything left and how much,” said Bowyer. “If so we might look to use that.

“But we ain’t been speaking about a striker. If we have anything left we’ll focus on another position.”

 


 

Please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ


Former Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing recently: “A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.

So if you have enjoyed reading this story, and if you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can buy our newspaper or make a donation, which will allow us to continue to bring stories like this one to you both in print and online.

Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *