Welling United progress in London Senior Cup after penalty shootout victory


It took penalties to separate step two Welling United and step four Hanwell Town in their London Senior Cup first round tie.

After 90 minutes the scores were level, and with no extra time or replays in this tournament, a shoot out was necessary. Although Welling missed their first spot kick, they converted their next four and with Tom Smith making two saves for the Wings, it is they who progress.

Although not a top priority for Welling, they still wanted to win and started with most of the team expected to contest next Saturday’s FA Cup tie with Harrow Borough.

Teddy Perkins challenges keeper Damian Pawlak who retains the ball

Hanwell twice fired off target before Welling were thwarted by goalkeeper Damian Pawlak, who made a spectacular double save to keep out Ade Shokunbi and then Bradley Stevenson.

Ben Allen acknowledges the fans

Ben Allen shot just wide on the turn before he scored his second goal in two weeks. Aaron Barnes went on a strong driving run down the right wing and his low cross was controlled and fired home by the former Gillingham striker.

Shokunbi had another shot saved before Smith beat out a shot from Jack Beadle who had cut in from Hanwell’s right wing.

Romario Jonas is upset with players in a melee

Smith then pushed out a Harry Rush free kick against the back of one of his defenders but it rebounded wide for a corner then a goalmouth scramble ended with the ball in the net but Tomasz Siemienczuk had bundled home from an offside position.

At the break, Welling made a change and took off Stefan Ilic, who had done well in protecting the back four, and it had a significant effect as Welling lost their shape in midfield. They were further hampered by an enforced change when Barnes limped off injured with less than 10 second half minutes gone.

Kristian Campbell converts his penalty kick

Kristian Campbell curled over after being teed up by Che Krabbendam and Stevenson but Hanwell were the better side after that. Another scramble caused havoc with Campbell clearing off the line with the Hanwell management, a good 50 yards away, adamant that the ball had crossed the line, then Edon Pruti headed over from Rush’s cross.

Adam Laaref had a near post shot saved and a goal had looked like it was coming when the impressive Ogochukwi Obi fired inside the far post with 11 minutes remaining.

Wings keeper Tom Smith saved two penalties in the shoot out

Substitute Kaylen Hinds made a vital stop inside his own six yard box to maintain parity. However it was the Welling one-time Bundesliga striker who had the last word when he fired home the final penalty to send the Wings into the second round and an away game either at AFC Croydon Athletic or Dulwich Hamlet.




Please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ

Former Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing recently: “A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.

So if you have enjoyed reading this story, and if you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can buy our newspaper or make a donation, which will allow us to continue to bring stories like this one to you both in print and online.

Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *