Weymouth 1 Welling United 0 – Connor Dymond dismissed as Wings floored on the coast


Ten men Welling United slipped to defeat in a tough battle at Weymouth.

Until Connor Dymond was dismissed after thirty minutes, Welling were causing problems for their hosts but once they were down to ten that had their backs to the wall.

Their second half defending was brave and they put their bodies on the line regularly but it all proved to be in vain.

Jake McCarthy fired over from Yemi Odubade’s miss-hit corner in the first minute but Welling created an opportunity of their own soon after when Joe Anderson found Joshua Oyinsan and he laid it back to Luke Rooney but he couldn’t get his balance right and volleyed wide.

Connor Dymond slides in a tackle

Anthony Cook was fouled on the edge of the penalty area and he took the free kick himself but curled it just beyond the far post.

Andy Robinson shot over the bar and then straight at Dan Wilks from twenty five yards before Cook spotted Calum Ward off his line but his shot flew just over as Ward struggled to get back.

The dynamic of the game changed on the half hour mark. After being cautioned for a late tackle, Dymond flew into a reckless challenge by the touchline and was shown a second yellow card that might have been a straight red card. Wings manager Mark Goldberg withdrew Oyinsan and brought on Montel Agyemang to restore numbers in midfield.

Ollie Harfield struck a free kick straight at Wilks and both he and McCarthy were off target from long distance before the half time break.

Weymouth players call for a foul inside the box

After the interval Welling defended deeply as they attempted to contain the hosts. It worked well with the Terras reduced to shots from outside the penalty area. Harfield cut in and tried an angled drive that Wilks turned over before Abdulai Baggie was just off target.

Wilks had to be alert at his near post as Baggie tried to catch him out then Calvin Brooks fired well over.

Harfield, Robinson and McCarthy all failed to keep long distance shots down before Welling were forced into defending bravely to make some heroic blocks, Wilks made a point blank save and Ejiro Okosieme threw himself in the path of a close range effort.

Finally, Welling’s resistance was broken. Harfield’s shot was saved brilliantly by Wilks but Brett Williams was first to the rebound to force it home.

Wings manager, Mark Goldberg, looks on from the dugout

Jack Jebb replaced Rooney with ten minutes remaining and had a shot deflected wide before taking the corner himself. Rob Swaine’s header was blocked, Okosieme’s follow up was forced out to Agyemang and his cross was hooked just over by Gavin McCallum.

That was their last chance and Welling’s recent run worsened to one point out of nine and no goals in three games ahead of next Saturday’s game at home to league leaders, Wealdstone.

Welling United: Wilks, Rich-Baghuelou, Anderson, Dymond, Swaine, Okosieme, Cook, Rooney (Jebb 80), Oyinsan (Agyemang 30), Coombes (Cosgrave 70), McCallum. Subs not used: Green, Prestedge.


Please support your local paper by making a donation



Please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ

Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing recently: “A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.

So if you have enjoyed reading this story, and if you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can buy our newspaper or make a donation, which will allow us to continue to bring stories like this one to you both in print and online.

Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *