The devastated partner of a former carpenter has issued an emotional appeal for answers as to how he was exposed to the asbestos that claimed his life.
William Daniells, of Streatham, died weeks before his 70th birthday in May last year after suffering for a number of months with symptoms including shortness of breath.
Tests within his lifetime showed he had a build-up of fluid and thickening on his lungs – but a post-mortem examination confirmed that William, known as Bill, had been battling mesothelioma, a cancer of the lining of the lung associated with asbestos exposure.
His partner of 49 years Elizabeth Clements, 70, has now instructed specialist asbestos-related disease lawyers at Irwin Mitchell to investigate his illness and whether his contact with the substance may have occurred during his working life.
Her lawyers are now appealing for more information from anyone who recalls working with Bill during his time as a carpenter and joiner.
They are specifically keen to hear from old workmates from his time at Trollope and Colls in Camberwell in the late 1960s, as well as those who worked with him when he was a subcontractor and self-employed.
Leah O’Keefe, the legal expert at Irwin Mitchell’s London office, who represents Bill’s partner Elizabeth, said: “Bill’s family remain understandably upset at his death, particularly as his mesothelioma was only diagnosed in a post-mortem examination.
“Because of this Elizabeth had no opportunity to talk to Bill about when asbestos exposure may have occurred.
“With this in mind, we’d be keen to hear from anyone who could shed light on the matter.
“Bill’s family have a number of questions about his exposure. While nothing can make up for his death, any detail could prove to be hugely important in providing the family with the answers they deserve.”
Bill joined Trollope and Colls as an apprentice carpenter and joiner in 1966, and stayed there until 1971.
Elizabeth met him during this time and recalls that he worked on sites including the Marshall and Schnellgrove shop in Oxford Street, which later became Debenhams.
Bill later subcontracted and then became self-employed, while he then went on to leave the building trade entirely in the 1980s and switched to buying and selling antiques.
Elizabeth said: “It is still hard to believe that Bill is gone, as we had both been looking forward to enjoying retirement together and creating many memories.
“The news that he had mesothelioma and none of us knew came as a huge shock, particularly as Bill had always been fit and healthy. He didn’t even have a GP for a long period as he never seemed to be ill.
“Bill just loved cycling, and was out on his bike at every opportunity. He used to do a 30-mile trip every summer and had done one in the summer a couple of months before he became ill.
“It was awful seeing how the illness affected him, as he lost a huge amount of weight and became so very weak. It got to the point when he couldn’t even get out of bed.
“It has been very hard coming to terms with the loss and the whole process has been made tougher by the lack of answers regarding the illness. I’d be hugely grateful to anyone who can help.”
Anyone with information which may assist this case is asked to contact Leah O’Keefe at Irwin Mitchell’s London office on 0207 421 3998 or email email@example.com
Pictured top: William Daniells with his partner of 49 years, Elizabeth Clements
Please support your local paper by making a donation
Please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ
Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing recently: “A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.
So if you have enjoyed reading this story, and if you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can buy our newspaper or make a donation, which will allow us to continue to bring stories like this one to you both in print and online.