A woman was taken to hospital after she was rescued from a flat fire by firefighters last night.
Part of a ground floor flat, inside a four-storey house converted into flats, on Askew Road in Shepherd’s Bush, was damaged by fire.
One woman was rescued from the flat by firefighters wearing breathing apparatus.
She was given immediate emergency care before being taken to hospital by London Ambulance Service crews, suffering from smoke inhalation.
The London Fire Brigade (LFB) was alerted by a neighbour who heard a smoke alarm sounding and saw flames through a window.
The Brigade was called at around 10.30pm and the fire was put out by around midnight.
Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters from Acton, North Kensington, Hammersmith and Chiswick fire stations all attended the scene.
The fire is being treated as an accident which the LFB believe to be caused by a cigarette.
A spokesman from the LFB said: “If you’re a smoker, it’s absolutely vital you ensure your cigarette is completely out when you’ve finished smoking it. If you don’t, you risk causing a fire which could not only destroy your home, but also cost you your life.
“Firefighters recommend that you have a look at our online Home Fire Safety Checker to make sure there are no hidden hazards in your home.”
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.
Former Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing:
“A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.
If you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can make a donation which will allow us to continue to bring stories to you, both in print and online. Or, please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ