Yeovil 3 Welling 1 – Wings have themselves to blame as they make FA Trophy exit

By Mark Doig

Welling United contributed to their own downfall as they crashed to FA Trophy defeat at Yeovil Town.

It was always going to be a tough ask for the Wings when visiting the highest rated team in the southern section of the draw but it was defending described by manager Mark Goldberg as ‘sloppy’ that made it a tough afternoon for his team.

Although the Glovers rested some of their players, they still came out flying and kept Welling goalkeeper Dan Wilks busy. His first save was when doing well to tip James Tilley’s drive onto the bar and over.

Korrey Henry bursts past a defender

Chris Dagnell looked clear but Ejiro Okosieme recovered well to make a last gasp tackle before Wilks made an excellent double save from Tom Bradbury and Albi Skendi. Soon after Matthew Worthington was well off target after Wilks pushed out a corner.

Dagnall shot wide from Tilley’s through ball before Yeovil broke the deadlock. Remeao Hutton’s cross somehow evaded Wilks and hit Courtney Duffus and flew into the net.

Wilks saved from Skendi before Welling finally showed some ambition up front. Gabriel Osho did well to stop Bradley Goldberg from getting a shot away then Anthony Cook skewed his shot after Goldberg created space.

Keeper Dan Wilks is powerless to stop the second goal

Having enjoyed their best spell at the end of the first half, Welling went further behind within two minutes of the restart. Dagnall rose unchallenged at the near post to head home a Lawson D’Ath corner although the Welling defence were insistent that Joe Anderson had been shoved out of the way to create the space. Duffus made it three six minutes later when he burst through and gave Wilks no chance with a fierce finish.

Stuart Nelson was finally called upon to make a great save from former Glover Korrey Henry then chaos ensued before substitute Nathan Green’s shot was blocked on the line by Worthington.

Wilks made another excellent save from D’Ath before Tilley’s half volley skimmed the top netting. Tilley continued to probe for a goal of his own and had three shots off target before Rob Swaine’s first Welling goal reduced the arrears. Theo Widdrington delivered a free kick and Swaine rose at the far post to power his header home.

Rob Swaine celebrates scoring

Moments later, Welling had a further opportunity when Sanchez Ming, on for the injured Chiori Johnson, burst down the wing and got to the bye-line but Nelson did well to cut out his low cross.

That proved to be Welling’s last chance and Skendi could have made it worse for them in injury time when unmarked but he headed over.

Welling United: Wilks, Johnson (Ming 74), Anderson, Dymond, Swaine, Okosieme, Emmanuel, Agyemang, Henry, Goldberg (Green 61), Cook (Widdrington 61). Subs not used: Copeland, McCallum, Cosgrave, Coombes.

Pictures by Dave Budden

Please support your local paper by making a donation



Please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ

Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing recently: “A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.

So if you have enjoyed reading this story, and if you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can buy our newspaper or make a donation, which will allow us to continue to bring stories like this one to you both in print and online.

Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *