Keep an eye on all those mince pies

A charity vet from PDSA has issued a festive food warning to pet owners after a Border Collie was poisoned when she got her paws on some Christmas cake. From mince pies to stuffing, many festive favourites are poisonous and potentially fatal to our four-legged friends.

PDSA Vet Nurse Shana Walsh explains: “With the festive season here, many of us will have lots of treats, sweets and chocolates in the house. But while Christmas can be a time for indulgence for us, it’s important to remember that some foods can be very harmful to our pets.

“Onion and garlic, leeks, chocolate, alcohol, as well as currants, raisins and sultanas are all very dangerous. So owners should be careful of traditional Christmas foods like mince pies, stuffing and Christmas cake or pudding, which can all be harmful and should be kept safely out of paws’ reach.”

Ten-year-old Border Collie Skye suffered a festive fright after wolfing down a Christmas cake filled with raisins and brandy.

Skye saw an opportunity to tuck into the toxic treat after her owner, Thelma Lee got up to answer the door.

Thelma returned to find her Christmas cake, which she’d left to enjoy with her cup of coffee, had disappeared.

Festive favourites are poisonous and potentially fatal to our four-legged friends. Picture: Pixabay/StockSnap

The pensioner knew the raisins, sultanas, currants and alcohol typically found in a Christmas cake can all be fatal for dogs so called the PDSA Pet Hospital, despite it being 10pm at night, where the out of hours team advised to bring Skye straight in, to provide emergency treatment.

Thelma said: “As soon as I saw the Christmas cake missing, I knew she’d had it, she’s always eyeing up my food. I knew the cake and what’s in it could be very bad for her, so I rang PDSA straightaway.”

Skye was put on a fluid drip to help dilute the toxins in her system and given medication to prevent her body absorbing any more.

She was kept in hospital and monitored closely for the next two days.

Thankfully, Skye has now made a full recovery but Thelma.

“Skye has been by my side for 11 years, and she means the world to me,” she added. “She’s such a loving dog who is a huge part of our family.”

“I don’t know what I’d do without PDSA,” she added. “I always give a good donation when I visit the pet hospital.

Shauna added: “Owners should speak to their vet for advice as soon as possible if they think their pet has eaten something they shouldn’t have. Sadly, poor Skye is just one of many pets PDSA will help over the upcoming festive season.”

Help save pets like Skye by supporting PDSA’s vital work keeping people and pets together this Christmas.

Our dedicated vet teams see 10 pets every single minute, but we don’t receive any government funding, relying only on generous public support.

Donate and save pets’ lives:

Subscribe to Blog via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.

Former Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing:


If you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can make a donation which will allow us to continue to bring stories to you, both in print and online. Or please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.