Keep your dogs’ paws away from the Xmas tree

A charity vet from PDSA has issued a Christmas warning after a family dog got her paws on festive decorations and ended up needing emergency care. The first week in December is a popular time for Christmas trees, decorations and bright lights to go up around the house – and while they help make our homes feel festive, many decorations can be a hazard when left in paws’ reach.

PDSA Vet Nurse Shauna Walsh said: “Glittering lights, nibble worthy wires, dangling baubles and tall Christmas trees can be very tempting for our pets.

“Our four-legged friends like to explore with their mouths, so they can easily accidentally swallow something they shouldn’t such as small decorations, tinsel or fairy lights, leading to the risk of a serious blockage in your pet’s stomach or intestines (guts).

“It’s best to keep your pet out of harm’s way while you decorate, just in case they think it’s time to play. And once the decorations are up, it’s important that owners make sure they, along with any potentially toxic festive foods, are safely out of curious paws’ reach.”

Rita’s story

A two-year-old Bulldog from needed life-saving surgery after getting her paws on decorations off the Christmas tree.

Rita’s chances of survival looked poor after the curious canine chewed – and swallowed – baubles, tinsel and lights off the family’s Christmas tree.

But following a life-saving operation, and thanks to the skills of the vet team at the local PDSA Pet Hospital, Rita survived her ordeal and was back home.

Our four-legged friends like to explore with their mouths. Picture: Pixabay Mylene2401

Her owner, Clare Clayton said: “I knew something was wrong with Rita, she was off her food and kept being sick, much quieter than usual and just not herself. I took her to PDSA and after an X-ray, the team said there was something causing a blockage – and we realised she’d swallowed something. I couldn’t believe it!”

“I don’t know what I would have done without the kind and caring staff at PDSA – they were amazing,” she added.

“They were so quick to see Rita, while making us feel calm and comfortable. Rita gets anxious at the vets but PDSA were so good with her.

“If it hadn’t been for the charity, I don’t know what would have happened to Rita. It’s been a really hard few years, and I’m not sure we would have been able to afford surgery at a private vet.”

Rita’s life-saving treatment cost PDSA over £1,160, only possible due to the public’s kind donations, as PDSA doesn’t receive any government funding.

Across its 48 Pet Hospitals, PDSA protects the special bond between owners and their four-legged friends.

The teams provide veterinary care to sick and injured pets whose owners otherwise couldn’t afford to pay the full cost of treatment.

Visit: for more information.



Picture: Pixabay/anaterate 

Subscribe to Blog via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.

Former Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing:


If you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can make a donation which will allow us to continue to bring stories to you, both in print and online. Or please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.