10 people escape building after tumble dryer goes up in flames

Ten people managed to escape a building after a tumble dryer on the first floor went up in flames in the early hours this morning.

Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters responded to the scene in Creek Road, Deptford.

A tumble dryer on the first floor was “destroyed” by the fire, said the London Fire Brigade (LFB).

Ten people evacuated the building before the LFB arrived and there were no reports of any injuries.

The fire is believed to have been accidental and involved a tumble dryer.

The Brigade was called at around 1am and the fire was under control by around 2am. Firefighters from Deptford, Greenwich, New Cross and East Greenwich fire stations attended the scene.

A LFB spokesman said: “If your white goods start making a strange noise, don’t ignore it. If you think there’s a problem, always unplug it and contact the manufacturer or a qualified repair technician.

“Most fires where white goods are the source of ignition are not down to anything you have done – so always make sure you register your appliances as you’ll be informed if any issues are identified with the product you’ve bought.”

(Picture: LFB)

Subscribe to Blog via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.

Former Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing:


If you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can make a donation which will allow us to continue to bring stories to you, both in print and online. Or please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.