Kensington & ChelseaNews

50 people evacuated from building after smoke and chemical substance detected

About 50 people were evacuated from a five-storey building after smoke filled the basement on Wednesday morning.

Six fire engines and about 40 firefighters attended the scene in King’s Road, Sloane Square, at around 10.45am. 

Firefighters investigated smoke logging in the basement of the mixed-use building. 

A spokesman for the London Fire Brigade (LFB) said: “Following investigation, no fire damage was discovered.”

The smoke was believed to have been caused by electrical issues outside the building. There were no reports of any injuries to members of the public.

Specialist officers were also in attendance after elevated readings of a chemical substance were detected in the basement by crews using specialist equipment. 

This is believed to have been linked to the same source as the smoke outside the building, a LFB spokesman said. Crews ensured no elevated readings remained before leaving the scene.

A spokesman from the LFB said: “The incident was under control by around 2.30pm. Firefighters from Kensington, Soho, Chelsea and surrounding fire stations attended the scene.”

(Picture: LFB)

Subscribe to Blog via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.

Former Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing:


If you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can make a donation which will allow us to continue to bring stories to you, both in print and online. Or please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.