Kensington & ChelseaNews

Dog rescue prompts fire brigade to issue another warning about candles

Firefighters have issued a reminder of their candle safety advice following a small fire at a flat in Warwick Way, Pimlico on Wednesday.

Firefighters rescued two dogs from the flat. There were no reports of any injuries.

The fire is believed to have been accidental and caused by an unattended candle setting a newspaper alight.

A London Fire Brigade spokesman said: “Candles are one of the most common causes of fire. It’s really important that you never leave a candle unattended and keep them away from anything else that can easily catch light.”

Their main tips are to keep candles away from curtains, furniture and anything else that can catch fire and to keep loose clothing and hair away from candles when they are lit.

They say you should always place your candles/tea lights in a suitable fire resistant candleholder and make sure the candleholder holds the candle firmly and is on a flat and stable surface to stop it falling over.

The brigade was called at around 8.30am and the incident was over for firefighters within 10 minutes. Two fire engines and about 10 firefighters from Chelsea and Lambeth fire stations attended the scene.

Pictured top: Animal rescue in Pimlico (Picture: LFB)

Subscribe to Blog via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.

Former Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing:


If you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can make a donation which will allow us to continue to bring stories to you, both in print and online. Or please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.