LambethNews

Firefighters issue lithium battery warning after blaze tears through flat

Firefighters have issued a lithium battery warning after a fire broke out in a second floor flat yesterday afternoon.

Part of a four-roomed flat in Loughborough Park, Brixton was damaged by the fire. There were no reports of any injuries.

The fire is believed to have been accidental and caused by a lithium battery.

A London Fire Brigade (LFB) spokeswoman said: “Lithium batteries store a significant amount of energy in a very small space. If that energy is released in an uncontrolled way, then a fire or explosion may result. 

“If there is overheating, crushing or overcharging, a fault can occur within which may cause the battery to catch fire and explode.

“Lithium batteries are susceptible to failure if incorrect chargers are used, so it’s important to always use the correct charger for the product and buy an official one from a reputable seller.”

The LFB was called at around 4.15pm and the fire was under control by around 6pm. 

Four fire engines and about 25 firefighters from Brixton, Peckham and Clapham fire stations attended the scene.

(Picture: LFB)

Subscribe to Blog via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

 


Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.

Former Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing:

“A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.

   

 

   

If you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can make a donation which will allow us to continue to bring stories to you, both in print and online. Or, please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.