A man has been arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender in connection to the Clapham Chemical attack which took place on Wednesday of last week.
The 22-year-old man was arrested yesterday morning and has since been released on bail.
Police have said the manhunt for Abdul Shokoor Ezedi – the suspect in the attack – is working at a “considerable pace,” with more than 100 officers across the UK involved.
Police have also released a new CCTV image of Ezedi’s last known sighting after leaving Tower Hill Tube station on Wednesday.
The image shows him in Allhallows Lane, next to Cannon Street Tube station and Southwark Bridge, just after 9.45pm on the same night as the attack.
Police have also recovered Ezedi’s mobile phone from the car involved in the incident and are analysing it to establish the relationship between him and the victim.
Doctors treating the 31-year-old mother who was attacked have said she has “severe facial injuries,” which will likely impact the rest of her life. She remains in critical but stable condition.
Police have narrowed down the substance used to “one or two alkalines” and – according to Sky News – confirmed that Ezedi is not the father of the children who were injured in the attack.
A reward of up to £20,000 is being offered for information on Ezedi, 35, amid an ongoing national manhunt, with the Met working with the British Transport Police and officers with Northumbria Police in Newcastle, where Ezedi lived.
Officers said they believe he is either being hidden by someone or has come to harm.
Commander Jon Savell said: “Our message here is clear – if you are harbouring Ezedi we will find and arrest you. This man is a dangerous individual who has changed forever the lives of a family – we are doing everything we can to trace him and that includes targeting his associates.
“We believe there are other people helping him. We would ask anyone with information to contact us as a matter of urgency – a £20,000 reward remains on offer for information that leads to Ezedi’s arrest.
“If you are helping Ezedi think about that – a mother with two young children whose life is now changed forever through this horrific attack. Do the right thing and come forward.”
Pictured top: The new CCTV image released of Ezedi on the night of the attack (Picture: The Met)
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.
Former Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing:
“A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.
If you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can make a donation which will allow us to continue to bring stories to you, both in print and online. Or, please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ