Man treated by ambulance crews after candle sets house ablaze

A man was treated by ambulance crews after a fire – caused by a candle – ripped through the ground floor of a house yesterday afternoon.

Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters from Lewisham, Lee Green, Greenwich and Deptford fire stations, attended the blaze in Forbury Road, Lewisham.

One man managed to escape the building before the arrival of the London Fire Brigade (LFB) and was treated on scene by London Ambulance Service crews.

Part of the lower ground floor of the house was damaged by the fire which is believed to have been accidental and caused by a candle.

The Brigade was called at around 4.30pm and the fire was under control by around 5.30pm. 

A LFB spokeswoman said: “Candles are one of the most common causes of fire. 

“It’s really important that you never leave a candle unattended and keep them away from anything else that can easily catch alight.”

The LFB issued a candle safety warning after the fire, advising people to keep candles away from curtains and furniture, Keep loose clothing and hair away from candles when they are lit, make sure the candleholder is on a flat and stable surface and always place your candles and tea lights in a suitable fire resistant candleholder. 

(Picture: LFB)

Subscribe to Blog via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.


Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.

Former Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing:

“A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.




If you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can make a donation which will allow us to continue to bring stories to you, both in print and online. Or, please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.