Stray firework sets balcony alight

Firefighters have issued a warning after a balcony was set ablaze by a stray firework last night.

The fire, in Peckham High Street, Peckham, damaged part of a six-roomed flat on the third floor and a balcony on the fourth floor of the building.

The London Fire Brigade’s (LFB) 999 Control Officers took 11 calls to the fire. There were no reports of any injuries.

Firefighters were called to the scene at around 8.15pm and the fire was under control by around 9pm. 

Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters from New Cross, Brixton and Greenwich fire stations attended the scene.  

A LFB spokeswoman said: “We encourage people to attend organised fireworks displays instead of using fireworks privately, but if you do choose to use fireworks, make sure you have enough space, buy them from a reputable, licensed seller and always look for a CE mark to make sure they’re safe. 

“Never drink alcohol and set off fireworks and don’t throw fireworks or return to a firework once it has been lit.

“Remember that fireworks are explosives, and as such should be treated with respect and only used in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions and the Firework Code.”

(Picture: LFB)

Subscribe to Blog via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.

Former Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing:


If you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can make a donation which will allow us to continue to bring stories to you, both in print and online. Or please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.