Two men taken to hospital after flat ‘completely destroyed’ by fire

Two men were taken to hospital yesterday morning after escaping a flat fire that “completely destroyed” the flat on the second floor of a building.

Three fire engines and 15 firefighters were called to a blaze at a house converted into flats in De Frene Road, Lewisham.

One man managed to escape the building before the London Fire Brigade (LFB)  arrived. 

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a fire escape hood to rescue another man, and lead him to safety down an internal staircase. 

Both men were assessed at the scene by London Ambulance Service crews and taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation.

Fire escape hoods provide up to 15 minutes protection from four of the main fire gasses – carbon monoxide, hydrogen cyanide, hydrogen chloride and acrolein – and can be worn by conscious or unconscious people. 

If more than 15 minutes protection is required then another hood can be given to each wearer. 

They do not provide oxygen but temporarily filter toxic smoke to make breathing easier. 

The LFB said the fire was caused by an unattended candle.

A LFB spokesman said: “Candles, incense sticks and oil burners are one of the most common causes of fire. 

“It’s really important that you never leave a candle unattended and keep them away from anything that can easily catch fire.

“You should also ensure they are in a heat-resistant holder and placed on a stable surface so they won’t be knocked over.”

(Picture: LFB)

Subscribe to Blog via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.

Former Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing:


If you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can make a donation which will allow us to continue to bring stories to you, both in print and online. Or please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.