Charlton AthleticSport

Accrington Stanley 1-1 Charlton Athletic: Addicks settle for point after being pegged back late on

Photos: Kyle Andrews


Charlton had to settle for a point from their first ever league meeting with Accrington Stanley.

Karlan Grant had edged the Addicks ahead in the first-half, but Jordan Clark’s leveller twelve minutes from time meant the spoils were shared after an engaging encounter at the Crown Ground.

Competing in their first ever third tier campaign since reformation in 1968, hosts Stanley enjoyed a measure of possession in the opening stages but only had Callum Johnson’s ambitious daisy-cutter from range to show for it – Dillon Phillips easily equal to it.

Lee Bowyer’s men took a few minutes to settle into the encounter, but once they did they took the lead thanks to a devastating counter attack.

Lewis Page made use of the space on the left-hand side before delivering the perfect cross for Grant to plunder his second goal in as many games, heading home via the underside of the crossbar. The assistant referee on the far-side confirmed the ball had crossed the line before bouncing back out again.

The visitors were buoyed and went immediately in search of a second.  Grant dragged an effort just wide from outside the area, before his strike partner Lyle Taylor was just unable to stretch a foot out to divert Darren Pratley’s drive home.

Charlton players celebrate Karlan Grant’s opening goal at Accrington Stanley. Photo Kyle Andrews

The hosts did start to regain some momentum but the South Londoners were difficult to break down – a header glanced just wide by Billy Kee just before the interval the only close-call for Bowyer’s side.

The Addicks emerged from the dressing room with purpose and but for a fine save from Connor Ripley may have doubled their lead. Page burst past George Lapslie on the overlap, receiving the ball and driving at goal – Ripley diving to his left to block.

Taylor and Grant both were unsuccessful with efforts from outside the area as the visitors went in search of that killer second goal.

They nearly had it with 17 minutes left to play. Lapslie slalomed through the Accrington half before slipping it outside to Grant, who cut in but fired against the base of the near-post.

The Charlton Athletic traveling fans in the stands

Stanley made Charlton pay with twelve minutes to play. Sam Finley’s low ball caused chaos in the Addicks box. Naby Sarr blocked one on the line, Phillips then pulled off a fine save in the melee but Clark was able to bundle home at the third attempt.

Substitute Offrande Zanzala nearly won it for Stanley in-front moments later, but his header from a hanging cross dropped just wide.

The Addicks nearly nicked it themselves as Grant curled a free-kick wide with the final kick of the game, but return back to South London with just a point.

Subscribe to Blog via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.

Former Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing:


If you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can make a donation which will allow us to continue to bring stories to you, both in print and online. Or please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.