Non-League FootballSport

Bromley six-game unbeaten run ended by Chesterfield at Hayes Lane


Bromley’s hopes of an unbeaten April were thwarted when Chesterfield avenged their defeat 10 days earlier with a hard-earned 2-1 win at Hayes Lane.

Andy Woodman had started his rein with two draws before four consecutive victories took the Ravens into the National League play-off places. But just as Bromley had ended Chesterfield’s six-match unbeaten run, the roles were reversed on Tuesday evening,

Danny Rowe created space but curled over in the early exchanges but Joel Taylor was proving to be a real handful and smashed a cross shot against the bar before sending an angled drive just wide.

Jude Arthurs and Emmanuel Oyeleke tussle for the ball

Jack Bridge went on a long run down the right wing before cutting in and firing a right-foot shot just beyond the post as Bromley started to create opportunities and they then had a shout for a penalty refused as Alex Mitchell appeared to be pulled back.

The last chance of the first half went Chesterfield’s way when Martin Smith’s shot from the edge of the area fizzed just wide after Rowe’s dangerous cross was headed out.

After the break George Carline coming in from the right twice went close. First Mitchell made a crucial block from a goalbound shot then he couldn’t quite get a clean shot away when he met Taylor’s deep cross and Mark Cousins was able to claim.

Jack Clarke goes past the defence to open the scoring

Soon after, Chesterfield went ahead when a long, route one through ball sent Jack Clarke away and his fierce drive gave Cousins no chance.

Woodman made two changes, first bringing on Frankie Raymond followed by James Alabi and the latter would have got on the end of a deep Bridge cross had Emmanuel Oyeleke not intervened with a brilliant headed interception.

Grant Smith claimed from Millwall loanee Mitchell’s downward header before the visitors’ keeper blotted his copybook resulting in Bromley’s equaliser. Michael Cheek pressed him into a hurried clearance and it came out as far as Jude Arthurs. The youngster looked up and chipped it back calmly over Smith and it floated into the empty net.

Bromley celebrate drawing level

Mitchell headed wide from a Chris Bush long throw before at the other end, Carline got on the end of Nathan Tyson’s cross but Cousins saved comfortably.

Chesterfield regained their lead when, once again, their two wing-backs combined. Taylor sent over a deep cross from the left and Carline came in to meet it with an instep volley that gave Cousins no chance.

Referee Adrian Quelch then pulled up lame and after a long break fourth official Nicholas Dunn took over.

George Carline turns away after scoring the winner

Bush had a shot punched around the post by Smith and from Raymond’s corner, Charlie Fox headed wide. Fox was unfortunate when his goal-bound drive struck team-mate Alabi before Raymond fired just over from 30 yards.

One last chance for Bromley came and went when Smith made a superb low save from Raymond’s drive.

Bromley will look to bounce back on Monday when they host Hartlepool United.


Subscribe to Blog via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.

Former Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing:


If you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can make a donation which will allow us to continue to bring stories to you, both in print and online. Or please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.