Charlton AthleticSport

Charlton Athletic 0-1 Huddersfield Town: Added-time strike sinks Addicks


Charlton are now winless in nine league games after an added-time defeat at home to Huddersfield Town.

The Addicks were second-best for much of the evening and were finally undone by Matty Daly’s 92ndminute strike that secured the Terrier’s first win in six.

The result may have been different if Naby Sarr’s contentious header not been ruled out for offside but in truth the South Londoners were underserving of any more than the point that was snatched away from them.

Charlton’s Tom Lockyer plays the ball forward against Huddersfield. Kyle Andrews

The game started fairly evenly at a sodden Valley. Karlan Grant, on his return to The Valley after departing for Huddersfield in January, dragged an effort well wide inside the opening minute, with a dangerous Joathan Leko cross gathered at the near-post soon after by visiting stopper Kamil Grabara.

Former Leyton Orient man Josh Koroma’s deflected drive was held by Dillon Phillips, before Addicks youngster Alfie Doughty controlled a long ball well before cutting in onto his left foot and curling an effort high and wide of the target.

Alfie Doughty in action for Charlton against Huddersfield. Kyle Andrews

Danny Cowley’s side started to dominate possession as the half progressed and the rain continued to teem down. Charlton were never on the ball for long and it was from a turnover that the Terriers’ next chance came. Naby Sarr lost possession on halfway, with Steve Mounie leading the counter and forcing Phillips into a save at his near-post when he could have squared.

It remained goalless at we reached the break, and Philips ensured it stayed that way soon after the restart as he got down well to repel Grant’s long-range drive.

The Charlton stopper was called into action again soon after as Koroma’s drive came through a sea of bodies in the area, with Phillips throwing himself across the greasy surface to tip it around the post.

Home attacks were few and far between but Chelsea loanee Conor Gallagher did get a shot away from the edge of the area after the ball was laid off by Leko – only for it to be charged down.

Charlton’s Jonathan Leko on the ball during the home clash with Huddersfield. Kyle Andrews

Bowyer needed some inspiration from somewhere and introduced Taylor from the bench with twenty minutes left to play.

The move almost paid off immediately. Macauley Bonne broke into the penalty area and squared. The Town defence were drawn towards Taylor at the near-post but it was Chris Solly who ghosted in on the far-side, with only a last-ditch block preventing the Addicks stalwart from grabbing his first ever Valley goal.

The hosts thought they had won it late on. A deflected shot squirmed into the air, but Naby Sarr was flagged offside as he looped a header into an unguarded net. Replays suggested the goal should have stood – and they were dealt an even bigger blow inside the second minute of added time.

Solly’s ball out was intercepted, with Daly sweeping a low-cross home to send the 680 travelling supporters into ecstasy – the home areas of The Valley emptying out into a miserable South London evening.


Subscribe to Blog via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.

Former Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing:


If you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can make a donation which will allow us to continue to bring stories to you, both in print and online. Or please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.