Dean Holden has been confirmed as Charlton Athletic’s new first-team manager – with Andy Scott announced as the club’s new technical director.
The former Bristol City and Oldham Athletic boss joins the Addicks following Ben Garner’s dismissal in early December.
Holden, 43, who is a former professional footballer with 427 games to his name, also had stints as an assistant manager at Stoke, Oldham, Bristol City and Walsall.
The South Londoners are four points above the League One relegation zone and have taken just two points from their previous 18 available in the third tier.
Caretaker boss Anthony Hayes will remain in charge for the EFL Cup fourth round tie against Premier League side Brighton on Wednesday evening before returning to his role as men’s first-team coach to support Holden. Scott Marshall will continue as men’s first-team assistant coach. Jason Pearce, who has been assisting Hayes, will return to his role with the club’s U18s team.
Holden’s first match as Charlton boss will be against Peterborough on Boxing Day.
Andy Scott has also been appointed as technical director.
Our paper revealed earlier today that Scott, who has previously held recruitment roles at Forest, Brentford, Watford and Swansea, was set to be confirmed alongside Holden.
Charlton owner Thomas Sandgaard said: “I am delighted we have been able to appoint such experienced and knowledgeable people to help us move forward.
“Each individual appointed has experience at Championship level or higher and the appointments should give us the structure and stability that we need to progress as a club.
“When the men’s first-team is successful, it lifts the entire club, which is why the additions on the footballing side are so important. Dean Holden is a talented manager, who is well-respected in footballing circles. He’ll bring good experience and knowledge and help us as we look to get our season back on track.
“I am really pleased we have been able to bring in Andy Scott. He is a highly-regarded individual who has played a key part in the success of a number of clubs and has the vision, skillset and contacts to help move the club forward. He’ll play a key role in the January transfer window and longer term will help further align the direction of our men’s first team and academy.”
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.
Former Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing:
“A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.
If you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can make a donation which will allow us to continue to bring stories to you, both in print and online. Or, please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ