Charlton AthleticSport

Charlton Athletic owner outlines signing plans before transfer deadline day

Charlton Athletic owner Thomas Sandgaard has revealed the League One club are still hoping to add a striker and centre-back before Thursday night’s transfer deadline.

The Addicks drew 1-1 at Wycombe Wanderers on Saturday with their 63 per cent possession only producing two chances – an xG (expected goals) of 0.7.

Asked if a forward on their wanted list, Sandgaard told Charlton TV: “Yeah, of course. We’re looking to see if we can stretch the other defence a little more – someone able to run in behind and create that confusion. We’ve seen that already, that it has been a little too easy for opposing defences to cut us off.

“If we can strengthen there it is something we’re looking at and also if we can get a little more depth in central defence, that will be helpful too. They are the main areas we are looking at.”

Charlton have not paid a transfer fee for any of their signings in the summer window.

“We have been recruiting, as part of our overall strategy, we will have a period of probably two seasons where we get to the point of financially breaking even or cash flow neutral,” said Sandgaard. “Half of that will take place this season and half of that will take place next season. We’re slowly increasing revenue, it’s nice to see that part coming together.

“We are slowly reducing costs elsewhere. We have been able to rely on free agents so far and that’s been very helpful, and relatively few loan players. We’re still building a squad for the future. We have slowly and methodically been adding to the squad and that process started in the middle of Spring, knowing we wanted to add more players that fit our playing style.”

Charlton are ready to move on Alex Gilbey, Jake Forster-Caskey and Craig MacGillivray.

Asked if he expected movement out, Sandgaard responded: “It is a hard prediction. There are a few players that may not fit our playing style so well anymore. There is some interest from other clubs, we’ll see how that goes.”

PICTURE: PAUL EDWARDS

Subscribe to Blog via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

 


Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.

Former Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing:

“A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.

   

 

   

If you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can make a donation which will allow us to continue to bring stories to you, both in print and online. Or, please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.