Charlton AthleticSport

Doncaster Rovers 1-1 Charlton Athletic: Addicks survive late scare to take deserved point on the road

Charlton return from South Yorkshire with a point after an eventful trip to Doncaster Rovers.

An own-goal from John Marquis midway through the second-period saw the South Londoners take a lead that was almost instantly cancelled out by Mallik Wilks.

Marquis then had what he thought was a late winner ruled out for offside right at the death as Charlton came away with a point their performance over ninety minutes deserved against another side looking to finish League One’s top six.

There had been a sickness bug in the Charlton camp throughout the week but they showed no ill-effects as they took the game to their hosts in the opening stages.

Charlton Athletic’s Chris Solly (left) battles with Doncaster Rovers’ Danny Andrew for the ball

Igor Vetokele, on his return to the starting line-up, saw an early close-range effort blocked, with Krystian Bielik soon seeing his header held by home stopper Marko Marosi in a bright start by Lee Bowyer’s men.

The Addicks boss was watching on from the stands as he served the first of his three-match touchline ban and he saw another chance go begging for his side as Joe Aribo’s effort was charged down after a weak clearance from Marosi. Josh Cullen then saw his follow-up headed over the bar by a desperate Donny defender.

Lyle Taylor was the next man in a yellow shirt to be denied. Jonny Williams sent the Addicks talisman through on goal with a neat header, but Marosi just about his drive out with his feet.

Doncaster are the third highest goal-scorers in home in League One but it took until the half-hour mark for their first sight of goal. German defender Patrick Bauer recovered superbly to slide in the way of former Millwall man John Marquis’ shot on goal.

Charlton Athletic’s Krystian Bielik (right) battles with Doncaster Rovers’ Herbie Kane

Marquis then saw a goal ruled out for offside before Marosi made the save of the first half at the other end.

Bielik had two bites at the cherry as his original volley was blocked and played back into his path, but his thunderous hit was acrobatically tipped over by the home stopper as the sides returned to the dressing rooms level pegging.

Aribo curled one comfortably over the bar shortly after the break before the Addicks survived two big scares. Bielik stood up to get in the way of James Coppinger’s volley. The resulting corner was headed at goal by Paul Downing but Chris Solly was in the right place at the right time to hack it away from the goal line.

Bowyer introduced Tariqe Fosu from the bench in place of Williams midway through the half as he looked to spark his side back into life.

Charlton Athletic’s Patrick Bauer (left) battles with Doncaster Rovers’ John Marquis

It seemed to be working as the Addicks came an inch away from breaking the deadlock. Vetokele hustled in the area, winning possession for Ben Purrington to square for Taylor – whose drive rebounded off the base of the post.

But Bowyer’s side did edge ahead moments later. Aribo had seen an effort deflected behind for a corner. The set-piece was taken short to Cullen, whose low centre was inadvertently touched into his own net by Marquis.

The Addicks led in 72nd minute but were pegged back just four minutes later.

Leeds loanee Wilks turned and fired from the edge of the area, beating Phillips and bringing the home side onto level terms.

Charlton Athletic’s Lyle Taylor (right) battles with Doncaster Rovers’ Ben Whiteman

Phillips just about to do enough to scramble Marquis’ volley wide with three minutes left, before the South London born striker thought he had won it for the home side six minutes into added time.

He fired past Phillips but the flag was raised for a player in the goalkeeper’s line of sight and the Addicks escape with a draw that keeps them five appoints above their hosts in the League One table.

Subscribe to Blog via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.


Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.

Former Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing:

“A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.




If you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can make a donation which will allow us to continue to bring stories to you, both in print and online. Or, please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.