Charlton AthleticSport

New Charlton Athletic signing Mandela Egbo to miss start of League One season

Charlton full-back Mandela Egbo will miss the start of the League One season with the knee injury he suffered at Dartford on Saturday.

The former Crystal Palace defender initially felt he had only twisted his right knee.

But Addicks manager Ben Garner, speaking after a 4-2 friendly win at Colchester United tonight, revealed the setback was more serious.

“There’s a fairly significant injury to his knee, which is the big disappointment of pre-season so far,” said Garner.

“He’ll have a period of time out. He’ll see a specialist next week. We don’t think he’ll need an operation, we’re almost certain it won’t and it will just be a case of rehabbing him as quickly as possible.

‘He’s got a great attitude, he’s so positive – he’ll do everything possible to get back quickly. We’ll support him on and off the pitch.

“I never like to put a timeframe on it but he’ll certainly miss the start of the season.”

George Dobson played no part against the U’s.

Garner said: “George trained this morning and was just a little bit tight in one area. So for the sake of 15 minutes tonight it wasn’t worth it. It’s an opportunity for that to settle down so that he can train fully on Thursday and play on Saturday.

“The plan was one team to do the majority tonight and flip round [for this weekend at Sutton United]. They [the ones not starting] had a session and a gym session today – we’ll reverse that on Saturday. Everyone will get really good work and load into them.

Steven Sessegnon, signed on loan from Fulham last week, got his first minutes late on in tonight’s match.

Garner said: “He’ll have more involvement on Saturday. I think those first minutes are the hardest ones. Those 15 minutes it is hard to get up to the pace and get your second wind. Nice to get him involved, he’s obviously trained for a period now. Looking forward to him building more minutes as we move forward.”

PICTURE: KEITH GILLARD

Subscribe to Blog via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

 


Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.

Former Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing:

“A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.

   

 

   

If you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can make a donation which will allow us to continue to bring stories to you, both in print and online. Or, please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.