Charlton AthleticSport

Shrewsbury Town 0-2 Charlton Athletic: Addicks secure vital win in quest for play-off place

PHOTO: Kyle Andrews

Charlton gave their play-off hopes a huge boost as they secured a critical victory at Shrewsbury Town.

Jason Pearce’s header sixteen minutes from full-time plus Josh Magennis’ injury-time second earned a vital three-points as Lee Bowyer’s men seek to ensure they are involved in the end of season shake-up. They sit fifth this evening, aided by Portsmouth’s 3-1 defeat at Bradford.

The Addicks nearly edged ahead in the opening exchanges. Jake Forster-Caskey’s early corner was only cleared as far as Ezri Konsa, whose drive from the edge of the area deflected just wide.

Paul Hurst’s men quickly grew into the encounter and came close to opening the scoring themselves as Carlton Morris fired Ben Godfrey’s low-cross into the side-netting at the near-post.

The home side edged possession but Charlton had some decent chances on the counter. Arsenal-loanee Stephy Mavididi saw an effort blocked from a tight angle as he seemed to be caught in two minds after Tariqe Fosu slipped him in, allowing the home defence to regroup.

Salop were soon given another let-off as stopper Dean Henderson dropped a Forster-Caskey corner at the feet of Pearce. The defender was unable to poke home before the goalkeeper recovered to smother.

Automatic promotion chasing Shrewsbury looked more comfortable on the ball than their visitors but were unable to find a way past the Charlton defence before the interval.

Northern Irish international Josh Magennis headed a Forster-Caskey corner over the crossbar for the Addicks, before Fosu nearly bundled his way through into the area but was unable to find a finish early in the second-half.

The game seemed to have burst into life all of a sudden, with Morris seeing his shot blocked by Patrick Bauer after cutting in from the left.

Henderson tipped Fosu’s rising drive over the bar, with Pearce somehow unable to scramble the ball home as the resulting corner fell to him just yards out.

The Addicks had their noses in front sixteen minutes from time. Captain Pearce scrambled Forster-Caskey’s set-piece home from close-range to give the South Londoners a vital lead.

Mavididi nearly added a second after pinching the ball inside the Shrews area but the home side looked to try and force the issue as we entered five added minutes at the end of the game.

With every home man forward in the search for an equaliser, goalkeeper Henderson had his pocket picked by Magennis, who chipped into the empty net and fired the Addicks back into the top-six.

Subscribe to Blog via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.


Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.

Former Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing:

“A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.




If you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can make a donation which will allow us to continue to bring stories to you, both in print and online. Or, please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.