Non-League FootballSport

Welling climb away from National League South danger with crucial win at leaders Yeovil


Having had their Vanarama National League South unbeaten run ended earlier in the week, Welling United bounced back with a well-deserved win at champions-elect Yeovil Town.

Earlier in the season, Welling came back from a one-nil deficit to beat Yeovil four-one and they completed the double when becoming the first away team to leave Huish Park with all three points. Prior to the game, Yeovil had won every home game other than three draws.

Morgan Williams created difficulties for the Wings early on when twice coming up for corners, one of which he headed over, and the other that was nodded wide. However, once Welling had settled, they caused problems themselves. Charlton Athletic loanee Jason Adigun chipped just over before a clever clip through to him by Anthony Grant allowed him to square for Reece Grant whose effort was saved by Joe Day.

Frank Nouble, who was a menace to Welling in the first half, forced his way through but his low shot was saved comfortably by Reice Charles-Cook before Anthony Grant spotted Day off his line and tried an audacious chip from just inside the Yeovil half. Day was alert to the danger and got back to claim.


Charles-Cook was then called into making his only real save of the match, getting down well when Sonny Blu Lo-Everton tried to curl it into the bottom corner.

Anthony Papadopoulos’ sweet strike was saved by Day before an encouraging first half came to a close.

After the break, Welling continued to play positively and Cameron Green stung Day’s palms with a free kick that he couldn’t hold but he escaped punishment when claiming before anyone else could close in.

Matthew Worthington shot over for Yeovil before a 25-yard thunderbolt by Papadopoulos was saved superbly by Day at the expense of a corner.

Eighteen minutes remained when Welling made the breakthrough. Adigun’s energy caused both Day and Jay Foulston into hurried passes and Charlie Cooper’s first touch was heavy. Anthony Grant read the danger and was on it immediately, breaking into the penalty area before slamming it beyond Day from a tight angle.

Mark Cooper, Yeovil’s manager, reacted by bringing on Olly Thomas, and he almost made an immediate impact when his low cross-shot was tipped beyond the post by Charles-Cook.

Williams, commanding in the air at both ends, was sent forward as an extra striker, and Welling were forced into a rear-guard action for the six minutes of stoppage time, but they remained determined and other than a two-fisted punch out by Charles-Cook, he was not tested again.


Subscribe to Blog via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.

Former Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing:


If you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can make a donation which will allow us to continue to bring stories to you, both in print and online. Or please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.