BexleyNews

600 homes could be demolished where A Clockwork Orange and Misfits were filmed

By Joe Coughlan, Local Democracy Reporter

Almost 600 properties could be demolished, to make way for 2,000 new flats in Bexley.

Plans have been submitted to Bexley council to knock down 596 homes, as well as 253 disused garages, at Harrow Manorway in Thamesmead East. 

Also included in the plans, sent by Peabody Land Limited, is a new shopping space, and revamps to the nearby Abbey Way park.

The project will also see a £270,000 contribution to Transport for London to improve the bus service in the area.

Thamesmead residents sent 14 letters of objection relating to the plans with some locals worried about the “loss of revenue from use as a film location”.

The Thamesmead housing estate has previously been used to film episodes of Misfits and the film A Clockwork Orange.

Other objections in the report criticised the planned demolition of the existing homes in the area.

One resident said: “Demolition is bad for mental and physical health due to increased pollution, noise, dust and vibration.”

Another objection said the demolition would result in the “loss of the character of Thamesmead and break up communities”.

Concerns were also raised about the lack of natural light due to the new tower blocks. One objector said: “The new flats are very close together with many new residents likely to have no natural daylight for part or most of the day.”

Two schools near the site, Willow Bank Primary and the Horizons Academy, were also included in the objections as they do not currently have crossing patrols, with locals worried about the safety of children with the increased footfall the development would bring.

The developer said 35 per cent of the new homes will be “affordable”, with plans for this figure to rise as high as 57 per cent.

The development is part of a wider project by Peabody for the Thamesmead area, with plans for 1,849 flats to be completed by 2034.

The decision on the new apartment blocks in Bexley will be decided by the Bexley Council planning committee at a meeting on October 13.

Pictured top: One of the over 200 garages in the site to be demolished as part of the plans (Picture: Google Earth)

Subscribe to Blog via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

 


Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.

Former Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing:

“A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.

   

 

   

If you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can make a donation which will allow us to continue to bring stories to you, both in print and online. Or, please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.