Two women and one man taken to hospital after house fire

Two women and a man were taken to hospital after a fire ripped through a house on Saturday.

Part of the ground floor and first floor of a detached house in Hoadly Road, Tooting, was damaged by the blaze.

One woman was rescued from the building by firefighters wearing breathing apparatus, using a 9m ladder. 

Another woman managed to escape the building from the back of the property using a neighbour’s ladder and a man also escaped the house before the London Fire Brigade (LFB) arrived.

All three were taken to hospital by London Ambulance Service crews. 

The LFB believe the fire was accidental and caused by an unattended candle. Following the incident firefighters have issued a reminder of their candle safety advice.

The LFB was called at around 11am and the incident was over for firefighters at around 12.30pm. Firefighters from Tooting, Norbury and Brixton fire stations attended the scene

A LFB spokeswoman said: “Candles are one of the most common causes of fire. It’s really important that you never leave a candle unattended and keep them away from anything else that can easily catch alight.”

(Picture: LFB)

Subscribe to Blog via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.

Former Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing:


If you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can make a donation which will allow us to continue to bring stories to you, both in print and online. Or please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.