Charlton AthleticSport

Bristol Rovers 0-0 Charlton Athletic: Blustery conditions ruin game – spectators not blown away

Charlton had to settle for a point on the road as they were held to a goalless draw by Bristol Rovers.

Chances were at a premium throughout, with Ben Purrington coming closest for the South Londoners and both sides having a goal ruled out.

Lee Bowyer had made five changes from Tuesday’s 2-1 win over Burton as a tiring week took its toll on his side.

The Gas had conceded twelve fewer goals than any other side in the bottom half and the Addicks were unable to find a way past them on a windy afternoon at the Memorial Stadium.

Charlton Athletic’s Lyle Taylor (left) has an attempt on the Bristol Rovers goal

Rovers also had the second-worst goals scored record in the league before kick-off and they set about trying to put that right early on as Liam Sercombe capitalised on a poor touch by Darren Pratley but saw his drive blocked by Patrick Bauer.

The extremely blustery weather in the West Country made for difficult playing conditions but the Addicks started to gain some control and nearly opened the scoring after ten minutes.

Bauer headed a deep corner back into the danger zone but top-scorer Lyle Taylor was unable to adjust his feet in time to divert the ball towards goal.

Bristol Rovers’ Abu Ogogo (right) challenges Charlton Athletic’s Anfernee Dijksteel

Josh Cullen lifted one over from range before Ben Purrington was denied his first goal in Charlton colours. Anfernee Dijksteel’s deep cross found its way to the Rotherham loanee but Tom Lockyer was well placed to hook his shot away from the goal-line.

Rovers have a striker bang in form in Jonson Clarke-Harris and only a fine save from Dillon Phillips prevented him from shattering the deadlock shortly before the break.

Darren Pratley felled the frontman just outside the area. The former Coventry man dusted himself off a drew a superb save from Phillips with the set-piece, who dived to his left to claw the ball away from the bottom corner.

Igor Vetokele drew a smart save from Jack Bonham after doing well to get a shot off at the other end before the South Londoners thought they had taken the lead on the stroke of half-time.

Charlton Athletic’s Ben Reeves (right) challenges Bristol Rovers’ Michael Kelly

Taylor held the ball up well before squaring for Cullen to tap home from a few yards out, but his celebrations were short-lived as the assistant’s flag was raised on the near-side.

Cullen saw a dangerous free-kick just flicked over by a defender’s head in the early exchanges of the second-half but little else of note after that, Lee Bowyer introduced Josh Parker and Joe Aribo from the bench to try and find some renewed life from his side.

The game meandered on with chances few and far between but the Gas’ Ollie Clarke did come a whisker away with a half-volley from all of thirty yards that just drifted wide.

Tariqe Fosu replaced Ben Reeves for the last quarter-of-an-hour before the Gas had a goal of their own ruled out as Sercombe was flagged offside.

Charlton nearly nicked it in added time as Aribo’s centre found Taylor but his effort was blocked at point-blank range.

Subscribe to Blog via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.

Former Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing:


If you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can make a donation which will allow us to continue to bring stories to you, both in print and online. Or please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.