Crystal PalaceSport

Watford 2 Crystal Palace 1 – Sub Gray strikes winner as Eagles fail to reach FA Cup semi-final


Shorn of injured star man Wilfried Zaha, Crystal Palace were unable to exploit the blustery conditions as well as their hosts as Eagles manager Roy Hodgson’s FA Cup quarter-final hoodoo continued.

Watford had the first clear opportunity, when Gerard Deulofeu got behind the Palace defence to the right of Vicente Guaita’s box and drew a block from the keeper in the 17thminute.

And the hosts were ahead 10 minutes later when Guaita came for and failed to claim a corner that moved in the wind for the second time in a matter of minutes and the ball broke for Étienne Capoue to rifle into the roof of an unguarded net.

Deulofeu then drew a flying near-post tip-over from the Palace keeper as the Hornets pressed and tested him again with a free-kick in the 38thminute.

Palace finally stretched Heurelho Gomes in the home goal four minutes after the break, when a Max Meyer header from an Andros Townsend corner almost caught out the Brazilian, and Townsend forced Gomes to tip over a fierce free-kick 10 minutes later.

Crystal Palace’s Michy Batshuayi (right) scores his side’s first goal of the game
Crystal Palace’s Michy Batshuayi celebrates his sides first goal

And the Eagles were level in the 62ndminute when Michy Batshuayi mugged former Palace defender Adrian Mariappa as he tried to play his way out of defence and advanced on goal before firing across Gomes.

Roberto Pereyra was denied by Guaita in the 74thminute and Abdoulaye Doucouré fired the rebound over as Palace midfielder Luka Milivojevic lay rolling in the turf after an elbow in the ribs from Deulofeu that went unnoticed by the officials.

Watford substitute Andre Gray made it 2-1 in the 79thminute with virtually his first touch, running on to a lobbed Pereyra ball through the heart of the Palace defence to finish deftly past Guaita.

Deulofeu almost snatched a third seven minutes from time, after Guaita spilled a Troy Deeney shot but Aaron Wan-Bissaka made a goal-saving intervention.

Wan-Bissaka had a late, late chance as Palace charged upfield deep into injury time but flashed his shot narrowly wide.

Watford (4-4-2): Gomes, Femenía, Mariappa, Cathcart, Holebas (Masina HT), Hughes (Gray, 77), Doucouré, Capoue, Pereyra, Deeney, Deulofeu (Cleverley, 88). Subs not used: Dahlberg, Janmaat, Success, Kabasele.

Palace (4-5-1): Guaita, Wan-Bissaka, Tomkins, Kelly, Schlupp, McArthur (Benteke, 83), Kouyaté, Meyer, Milivojevic, Townsend, Batshuayi. Subs not used: Hennessey, Ward, Ayew, Wickham, Woods, Riedewald.

Crystal Palace’s Michy Batshuayi celebrates scoring his side’s first goal of the game during the FA Cup quarter final match at Vicarage Road, Watford. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. 

Subscribe to Blog via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.

Former Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing:


If you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can make a donation which will allow us to continue to bring stories to you, both in print and online. Or please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.